Headset - replace or not

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've got a 2010 Orange Crush which I've been riding as much as I can, up to 3 times a week out on the trails. Love the bike, but I am having problems with the headset (so this is sort of tech question but also a buying advice question).

The headset is spewing out brown gunge which is obviously caused by something rusting inside there. I have had a look inside and it looks messy. I think water has got in during riding or cleaning off after. I always dry the bike off and lube/GT85 it to displace water (using Chain lube and Fork Juice on the forks though).

I think the headset will be fine with a degrease and a regrease, but I reckon I'm going to have to do the same again in a month or so.

So what I'm wondering is it worth an upgrade? Any suggestions? Something that's better sealed than the current one and requires less maintenence ideally!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Hope_Threadless_Headset/5220000209/?

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    being a 2010 bike, i'd be VERY suprised if your headset needed replacing already. The brown gunge is just the grease, mixed with a bit of water and dirt. A clean and regrease should do the trick and just do that every so often when it feels a bit rough.

There are a lot of better ones out there, with sealed cartridge bearings, but to be honest, you may as well trash yours first before laying out more dollar! You need proper grease though, you may as well use water to lube them instead of GT85! GT85 is ok for basic chain lubricant etc, but for a low movement part like the headset, you need something more "solid" any lithium grease is best (but to be honest, any grease you can pick up with your fingers will do the trick!!)

Also, dont lube your forks - it just creates mess and the internals should offer enough lubricant (depending on model). All modern forks without the old rubber boots have enough sealing to stop the majority of crap getting in, Just wipe down with a dry cloth after washing
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that if there is anything out there, say £30, offering sealed cartridge etc then it might be worth a change.... save me doing what I've done today again in a few weeks...

Today I took stem off etc. and had a look. Grease is brown and bearings look a tad brown even after cleaning off. But who knows what they were like orignally. Cleaned up and regreased with Lithum based grease, obviously not GT85! I just use GT85 to displace water and keep things shiny!

I've just thought it might not have even been put together tight enough by the shop, therefore letting stuff crap in. Will keep an eye on it..... but still if there are any recommendations for replacements I'd like to hear them
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    FunBus wrote:
    Also, dont lube your forks - it just creates mess and the internals should offer enough lubricant (depending on model). All modern forks without the old rubber boots have enough sealing to stop the majority of crap getting in, Just wipe down with a dry cloth after washing

http://www.tftunedshox.com/faq/tips.aspx
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    dmorton wrote:
    I've just thought it might not have even been put together tight enough by the shop, therefore letting stuff crap in.

Please note the top cap should only be tightened to remove play from the bearings no more.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    GT85 is ok for basic chain lubricant

GT85 is basically flash WD45, only good for water driving out water and penetrating stuck parts, not chain lube!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    FSA Pig pro comes pretty well recommended...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FSA-Pig-Pro-Heads ... 746a8d46fb

But is your current headset feeling rough or notchy when rotating the bars ? There really is no point in replacing a headset unless it is worn..