Summer holiday cycling - N Cornwall

ex-pat scot
ex-pat scot Posts: 939
off to N Cornwall (nr Padstow) for our annual family hols.
Mrs XPS suggested I take the bike for a couple of days' riding!

Apart from the obvious Camel Trail, I've not identified any real classic route or event (yet) in the 20 July to 7 August window in that area.

Anyone with any suggestions? Routes? Events?

I'm erring towards taking the 'cross bike. The compact chainset will be a little more forgiving on some of the hills, and I could throw a second pair of wheels in with 'cross tyres (or, indeed, just the 'cross tyres themselves).

Open to anything really.

I have pencilled in the "Indian Queens" half marathon on 1 Aug, but apart from this I've a free rein
Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire

Comments

• You could ride the Cornwall Tor sportive route, runs quite close to padstow

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=12

choose from the 44, 73 or 103 mile route there is maps and profiles on the website
    the 73 mile route has 7'500 feet of climbing
    5138028552_5b583a9b56_t.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hard riding in Cornwall, partickylally the coast roads! Steep up, steep down but narrow too so you are on the brakes...
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    +1 on the other replies.

Try the coast lane section of the Cornwall Tor route, between Port Isaac and Widemouth, which has some great short but brutal climbs, e.g. around Crackington and Millook (1 in 3).

http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=12

Stick to routes on lanes to avoid heavy peak-season traffic. On inland lane routes, you can cycle for ages without seeing a car, in contrast to the North Circular-like mayhem around Padstow and other tourist Meccas.
  • Whatever you do, avoid the camel trail at that time of year because it is chaos! Dogs, kids, people who can't actually ride bikes but still hire them for the day. Great during the winter, spring and autumn - but not school holidays!
    One of my favourite rides is the Padstow to Newquay coast road - 15 miles of the most beautiful scenery in the country, but quite challenging with some steep climbs. Alternatively, get out over Bodmin Moor - stunning and much quieter - check out cycle network maps (route 32 I think). BEAUTIFUL, and part of the Cornwall Tor a couple of years ago. There are so many great loops in this part of Cornwall that you are spoilt for choice. ENJOY!
  • ex-pat scot
    Thanks all!

I've spent a lot of time on the Camel Trail, and it's pretty fab.
    Yes you need to take care with 23mm tyres, and to watch for kids/dogs/numpty adults, but it's still a great resource.

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I would agree that the Camel Trail is best avoided

I really like the North Cornwall road the B3306 that goes St. Ives-> Zennor -> Pandeen -> Lands End
  • onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    hey ex-pat, are you the same ex-pat who posted on the runners world London sub 3.15 thread in 2009. if so hello.

2 things the tips to follow the coastal road down towards Newquay are good ones, some very steep but short climbs as the road goes down to every bay along the way.

I ran Indian Queens 2 years ago when not fully fit, nice course altho there is/was a section of around 3/4 mile thats over moorland and was quite slippy, cost me a sub 1.30 as I finished in 1.30.02!! also beware the finish, the last 1.5 miles is all uphill.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    vorsprung wrote:
    I would agree that the Camel Trail is best avoided

I really like the North Cornwall road the B3306 that goes St. Ives-> Zennor -> Pandeen -> Lands End

B3306 is nicest cycling road in cornwall imo. If you can get down that way i've got a couple routes ranging from 30 to 101 miles
  • ex-pat scot
    onthefells wrote:
    hey ex-pat, are you the same ex-pat who posted on the runners world London sub 3.15 thread in 2009. if so hello.

That's me!

Not quite so much time on my hands to keep posting this year though. Not quite managed a sub-3 marathon since London April 09 either :(