Do Evans do free fittings?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited June 2010 in MTB general
If i buy a set of disc pads from Evans will they fit them for free? If not what's the likely charge?
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    probably the same as any other bike shop. Depends on the store, how busy they are and the chest size of the person asking.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a 30 second job which is well worth knowing how to do, DIY.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    njee20 wrote:
    It's a 30 second job which is well worth knowing how to do, DIY.

^^^^This, i wouldnt be payin a shop to fit some new pads when it takes literally seconds to do urself.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    If i buy a set of disc pads from Evans will they fit them for free? If not what's the likely charge?
    they charge £15 for fixing a puncture. im sure your bank will sort you a mortgage for the fitting
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I doubt it. I think they have standard charges. Ouch! Just looked at them ....£12.50 to put pedals on!

http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing/workshop-price-list

EEEEKKKK...look at the cost to put on a bottle cage! Oh, I've just started to breath heavily there.

FWIW, I can change disc pads in about 60 seconds. I'd recommend you DIY because you can give the calipers a good cleaning before putting in the new pads.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • projectsome
    pastey_boy wrote:
    they charge £15 for fixing a puncture. im sure your bank will sort you a mortgage for the fitting

I unfortunately don't have the tools and having spent close to £230 already this weekend I'm on a tight budget.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    pastey_boy wrote:

I unfortunately don't have the tools and having spent close to £230 already this weekend I'm on a tight budget.

U dont need any special tools at all, a pair of pliars at most depending on what type of pin the brakes use to hold the pads in place with.
  • projectsome
    jayson wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

U dont need any special tools at all, a pair of pliars at most depending on what type of pin the brakes use to hold the pads in place with.

they're avid juicy 3's. i'll hunt around for some tools
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    they are tool free they just pop out
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    Yep, made easier with a pair of pliers to pull the tabs out, but can be done totally without tools. Use a flat screwdriver to push the old ones back into the calliper first, pull out, put new ones in, ride off.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Also, and please don't take this the wrong way.......remember to take the wheel out! :)
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • projectsome
    I thought I'd leave the wheel in to save time. taking the pads out and putting them back in was easy enough once I remembered which way they came out. :oops:
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    I thought I'd leave the wheel in to save time. taking the pads out and putting them back in was easy enough once I remembered which way they came out. :oops:

Wow!! I'd have thought it was almost impossible to replace Juicy 3 pads with the wheel still attached ?
  • projectsome
    ftwizard wrote:

Wow!! I'd have thought it was almost impossible to replace Juicy 3 pads with the wheel still attached ?

You're right it was easier with the wheel off. was a 2 min job :D
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644

:shock: :shock: :shock:

And I thought Swiss bike shops were expensive!

Do 95% of my own maintenance now, including wheel building and the amount saved even when you take into account buying tools, workstands, consumables etc. is certainly worth having.
  • njee20
    taking the pads out and putting them back in was easy enough once I remembered which way they came out

They're marked 'L' and 'R'
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    njee20 wrote:
    taking the pads out and putting them back in was easy enough once I remembered which way they came out

They're marked 'L' and 'R'
    Not the superstar, clarks or official avid ones I've used, not sure what pads you're using?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sometimes shops will fit stuff for free on the spot if not busy. Often they wont, as it can highlight other problems. If the rotor is warped, pistons sticking etc, then what could be an easy set up job turns into a mare to do on the spot.

Same with punctures. Often used to get people wheeling in a bike with a flat. They would buy a tube, and then after ask if we could fit it. So the wheel comes off, and you realise it wasn't in the dropouts straight, and/or the cones are loose. You can't put it back on that way. Then you end up adjusting the brakes etc etc.
  • njee20
    Not the superstar, clarks or official avid ones I've used, not sure what pads you're using?

Sure the pukka Avid ones used to, perhaps I'm talking rubbish again.

Edit: they certainly did, I've not had Juicy's for years.

insanely huge image
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Superstar ones do - fitted some last week.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools