Road rash

2»

Comments

• Just to say thanks again to everyone for repeatedly recommending that I seek medical attention immediately; in hindsight a no-brainer, but coming from a skateboarding/BMX (non-technical) background, in the past I've been used to mainly ignoring flesh wounds/scrapes/grazes..

Attended A&E yesterday, they were very good, got wounds cleaned and dressed and was given various antibiotics due to suspected infection. Unfortunately the dressing disintegrated overnight; the nurse at my local GP surgery re-dressed today, which annoyingly tore apart apparently while I was picking up my fakenger bag from the treatment room floor. (just realised on getting home).

Just posting the above as background for a further request;
    ...in case anyone could suggest somewhere in central London I could get a wound re-dressed/cleaned (5 minute job) without a 4 hour wait? (e.g. in my lunch break, working in SW1) ..
    Thanks.

re: pictures - I do have a few in my camera, but they're not worth sharing, the shoulder's just red/yellow road rash, couldn't bend round enough to get a non-blurry pic of the elbow, and the thigh pics turned out a bit NSFW :|
  • Try the nurse at your doctors. I had to have my dressings changed every day for 6-8weeks. Where I was living at the time there was a cottage hospital that did it. As you say - a 5 minute job but it does need doing.

Keith
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    http://www.westminster-pct.nhs.uk/pdfs/yp_guidetoservices.pdf

The above any good? What about St Thomas', although that's at Westminster.
  • ...in case anyone could suggest somewhere in central London I could get a wound re-dressed/cleaned (5 minute job) without a 4 hour wait? (e.g. in my lunch break, working in SW1) ..
    Thanks.
    The walk in NHS centre on Buckingham Gate (near Victoria St) seems to be not too bad. Not many kids around the area, so the wait doesn't seem too long most of the time. Just take a book with you. If you can go earlier, maybe before work (are you on flexi?) that might be easier though.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Go to a pharmacist!

You'll have to pay for the stuff they use, but they do a great job of dressing wounds.
  • The walk in NHS centre on Buckingham Gate (near Victoria St) seems to be not too bad.
    Cheers, Buckingham Gate was perfect. Attended late afternoon; in and out in roughly 20 minutes including wait time, treatment, and time spent having a (hot) nurse express her sympathies at length whilst taking pains to furnish me with various posh-looking dressing material/sticky stuff in case of future need.
    Excellent.

Thanks to cafewanda & lost_in_thought for useful information also.