South West Scotland back country mountain biking suggestions

kiwilad
kiwilad Posts: 19
edited July 2010 in Routes
I live in South West Scotland and know the many 7 Stanes centres and Drumlanrig quite well. I am keen to see what else there is around the area and was wondering if anyone has ridden any good hills or trails?
I have hills like Cairnsmore of Fleet and Merrick or sections of the Southern Upland Way in my sights, but am looking for anyone who may have ridden these or others. Time to get the mountain bike out into the mountains!
Cheers.

Comments

• rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Hi there
    There is a route going over the rhinns of kells (loch doon) head towards the garryhorn mines from the a713 just through carsphairn, from there there is a track of sorts which takes you up between the coran of portmark and black craig, from therehead south along the ridge, there a farmers quad bike trail along the ridge. Its rough/tough hike a bike at times but true mtb. There's a trail linking loch doon with loch bradan (20miles), best done as a circular route and done from loch bardan to loch doon, this gives you a great doen hill section.
    Over by loch bradan theres a route from the stincher bridge car park up over cornish hill and cornish loch back to the car park (3miles)
    Landranger 76-77 and get out and explore, there are potentially dosens of routes just waiting to be found.(thats my plan)
    Ive talked to the forestry commision about possible development in this area but there's no plan of money to do it, despite its close proximatry to Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Ayr and Prestwick airport
    Also look at
    cycling.visitscotland.com/find_route/south/
    http://www.geocities.com/wheehamx/mbkeymap2.html
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Scotl ... tes-1.html
  • kiwilad
    kiwilad Posts: 19
    Cheers for that.

Am stoked to find on one of the sites you suggested that someone has ridden Merrick! Definitely on my list and now I won't have to walk it first to check if it can be done.

Have ridden Cairnsmore of Fleet which was awesome. Only to be done on a good day when it has been dry for a bit though as is exposed on top and can get quite spongy up the hill. Also it is a fairly technical descent down parts of the top section so not for beginners.

Let me know how you get on with any other rides around the area and I will do the same.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Will do, have a look at this site
    www.theaa.com/walks/cycling-on-the-merrick-420452
    Probably more easily done the opposite way.
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    I am planning to ride Sanquhar to Dumfries using SupW and Ae forest to get back to Dumfries. I use the train to get from Dumfries to Sanquhar, £4odd at 9am on a Sat. Could do any other day to suit, am a shift worker in Dfs.
    I know various permutations and routes on OS78 and some on OS79 out of Moffat.