Just ordered these......good choice?

saracen fan
saracen fan Posts: 389
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Bit late to be asking I know but...............

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYKENE/kend ... g-mtb-tyre

Get good reviews, I ride thetford forest and will be doing the ruthin round of the MTB marathon in september.....good shout?
Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Excellent trail tyre at a great price.... had 2 sets of them and they have performed flawlessly!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Ordered one, got bit practice on it, took it to wales- very impressed. Careful with pressures though, I always start a new tyre a bit higher than my first guess and work down, but the first corner I took with this on the front end disappeared! Bit of trial and error and it works nicely...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Sorry, I should say the first big corner- i.e. where I was really relying on the tyre. It didn't just wash out moment I turned the bars!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    They used to be my fave tyre before they stopped making my size (29x2.35).

I stole a top tip from some pro DH guy who's name eludes me.

If you remove every other transition knob they become an ultimate UK tyre.

Traction improves (especially in the wet as no longer clog), roll faster weigh less.

Simple to do, but very noticable performance boost. Aparently these tyres were designed to be modded to be course specific, hence the over density of knobs.

how to do.

on each side of the tyre you will see 3 rows of knobs, ingnore the outermost, it is the next ones in. get a penknife and carefully slice the top off every otherknob off leaving approx 1mm.

You will like the results, especially when it is wet.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • D3monik
    D3monik Posts: 21
    Cavegiant -
    sounds interesting, the knobs you mention are alternately different (some grooved at 90degrees others at 45) does it matter which you snip off?