Someone please tell me now. Askiums or Fulcrum Racing 5s?

Muckypup
Muckypup Posts: 51
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
Still can't decide. Going back and forth between two internet pages poised to order but can't make my mind up

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    fulcrums better build quality
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Muckypup
    Muckypup Posts: 51
    I'm looking at these Fulcrum 5s for £150

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -pair.html
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I'm going to advise Fulcrums, having just discovered a cracked rim on my not very old (but out of warranty :evil: ) rear Aksium.
  • Having tried both; get the Fulrums
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Fulcrums from Merlin Cycles. Decent wheels, good supplier and great service.
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    I've some 2009 Aksiums and whilst apparently not the lightest wheels, I can vouch for them being bombproof.

They're on my winter/ commuter bike that takes the odd bridleway when it presents itself and they've carried me well.

And I'm not light either.

Don't know about the Fulcrums.

This years Aksiums have subtler graphics too.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have Fulcrum 5's on my training bike and Fulcrum 7's on my Turbo bike, they seem bomb proof and reliable.

Mind you as they are made by Campag, it comes with the name...reliability.
  • I had the same dilemna and opted for the Aksiums. I used Fulcrum 7s for the last two or three winters until the rear hub gave up so needed a new set of winter commuting wheels. I had an old set of Aksiums but they had to go with a bike I sold.

Aksiums comfy easy to change tyres a bit on the heavy side hard wearing.
    Fulcrum 5s harder to change tyres may need to use levers, hard wearing, may be marginally lighter.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Fulcrum & Mavic should both be excellent quality.

Fulcrums (&Campag) can be a bit awkward to get tyres onto.

I gave up on Contis on my 5's, they were so difficult to get off & on in a garage with lots of tools available, to make the idea of fixing at the roadside with cold hands in the rain a no-no...

Michelin ProRace a lot easier
  • kitsunegari
    kitsunegari Posts: 131
    I've got some 2009 Aksiums on my Tri-bike, that I use for my daily commute. They seem to be bombproof as said above, the road surfaces are pretty terrible in some patches but they just roll on through.

Not used the Fulcrums so can't advise in that direction.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have Campag Shamals, Fulcrum 5's, Fulcrum 7's and have used a whole host of tyres and never ever had a problem, I also have some Record/Mavic Pro wheels and tyre fitment is similar. My future son-in-law has Campag Euros and he has no problem either.

If you try to fit a tyre on any rim in the cold you will find it harder than if you had warmed it up over the radiator before fitting at home.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    RS10s? Just to add to the choice ;)

I have been running a pair for a couple of months now. Really pleased with them, a definite improvement over the Alex DA22s on my SCR 2.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.