an inspired choice

rf6
rf6 Posts: 323
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Does anyone remember the fairly recent Supreme Cycle thread?

Well, it started a thought that wouldn't go away, so on Thursday morning I start my first bit of touring. I've gone for the easy option of a week in France! I'll mostly be wandering around Brittany and Normandy as travelling to and from St. Malo.

The panniers are packed already, and I can't wait! Fingers crossed it'll be disaster free! I won't be doing any killer distances, as I'm not fit enough, but hopefully I'll have an enjoyable and memorable trip.

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hurrah! Go you!

Careful of the Suisse Normande, unless you like hills. It's lovely countryside, and there are a lot of cycle paths. Buy (the french equivalent of) ord surv maps before you get there...

And have a great time!
  • rf6
    I've got some Michelin local maps which were recommended to me. Hopefully the cycle paths are marked. Otherwise the roads are good. And the wine is cheap, so what's the worst that could happen???

edit - it will also test the "merino doesn't smell" claim!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,637
    Best holiday trip I ever had was age 18 cycling from San Malo to Bergerac. Cycling in France is great, far more respect from drivers, I found. Quite common to have "Allez! Allez!" shouted at you from passing motorists :-)

The worst that could happen is that you take a wrong turn and find yourself cycling down the exit sliproad of a French motorway. Well that was the worst that happened to us.... :shock: Careful with remembering which side of the road to be on as well - the most dangerous bit is when you start to think you've got the hang of it and stop paying attention.... Can remember all five of us pulling out of a T junction, cycling about 50m up the road until the guy at the back calls out "err, guys...."

I'm now insanely jealous of you though. Enjoy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • lost_in_thought
    The cycle paths are well-signposted, and if you speak un peu de francais, you'll almost certainly be able to chat to a local on a bike who'll tell you where they go.

Are you going on the ferry? There's something so cool about cycling onto a ferry... :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh, and unless things have changed drastically in the 20 odd years since that trip make sure you have your lunch sorted before the entire of France closes for a couple of hours every day!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Can remember all five of us pulling out of a T junction, cycling about 50m up the road until the guy at the back calls out "err, guys...."

I'm hoping 'm' is the traditional metres, but I've got a feeling you mean miles... :shock:

LiT - you did a bit of the Anglia coast recently, didn't you? Grew up in Peterborough and parents have a hut in Hunstanton so I know North Norfolk pretty well and was thinking of doing a trip one weekend if the weather promises to be good. Considering a train up to Lynn from Kings Cross and round to perhaps Cromer for the night. Then Cromer down to Ipswich the next day and the train back to Liverpool Street.

It's either that or get to Yarmouth then cut inside to Norwich and get the train from there. Oh, the decisions...any recommendations?
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • lost_in_thought
    lastant wrote:
    Can remember all five of us pulling out of a T junction, cycling about 50m up the road until the guy at the back calls out "err, guys...."

I'm hoping 'm' is the traditional metres, but I've got a feeling you mean miles... :shock:

LiT - you did a bit of the Anglia coast recently, didn't you? Grew up in Peterborough and parents have a hut in Hunstanton so I know North Norfolk pretty well and was thinking of doing a trip one weekend if the weather promises to be good. Considering a train up to Lynn from Kings Cross and round to perhaps Cromer for the night. Then Cromer down to Ipswich the next day and the train back to Liverpool Street.

It's either that or get to Yarmouth then cut inside to Norwich and get the train from there. Oh, the decisions...any recommendations?

I sure did, my route was from me in Essex (nr Halstead) out to Aldeburgh (suffolk) then follow the coast round to Lynn. It's very do-able indeed in 3 days - I went as far as California (haha) for the first night, then to Brancaster for the second one, then a morning's ride down to Lynn. I had more time to play with so was in no rush, and I'm sure Lynn to Cromer would be very do-able in one day. And there are a fair few branch stations outside ipswich - cycling into ipswich is a nav nightmare with all the big roads to avoid!

I wouldn't cut in to Norwich, that'd be no fun! Get a norfolk cycling map... I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company that make them, but they do laminated cycling-specific maps that are just brilliant, and do one that covers all of Norfolk.

I have to say, the part I enjoyed the most was from Aldeburgh to Cromer - from Cromer round to Lynn you can't really get that close to the coast on a road bike - you're on the A149 the whole way with occasional loops in to towns. If you were on something you can ride on sand (erk) you might be able to use the beaches, but I wouldn't bank on it!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I sure did...

Thanks, know what you mean about big roads not being much fun (although the hundred ish miles I did on the A7 from Carlisle to Edinburgh did at least sort of pass quickly!).

I do like the idea of making it a loop and setting out from home before passing through Suffolk. Although Mum's from that way I haven't done much of it and it'd be nice to do round from home up to the edge of The Wash.

Norwich was only a thought as I know it well as Dad grew up there (I'm there every other weekend for the football, went to Uni. there and have mates there so could meet up with them). The 'Acle Straight' isn't particularly exciting, mind, although Dad used to do it when he was younger from Norwich out to Yarmouth and back in the day.

Oh good...more things to plan!

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread...!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • There's something so cool about cycling onto a ferry... :D
    Always makes me feel like a VIP :)

Hairy on a wet ramp, though :shock:
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    The IGN TOP 100 maps are the equivalent of Ordnance Survey, but at 1:100,000 scale. Highly recommended for cycling.

http://loisirs.ign.fr/5294259/serie/cartes-tourisme-et-decouverte-:-top-100.htm
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    What do you do about camping sites? For me, quite a bit of the appeal is getting away from it all, so wouldn't necessarily want an organised site. So... guerilla tenting in a quiet spot? But then what does one do about ... ablutions?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • lost_in_thought
    Campsites all the way. I've been cycling all day, I want a damn shower!

However, you can pick and choose. They're not all big busy ones - check out this picture from Normandy:

10634_147615115468_732610468_4066075_6003966_n.jpg
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    rf6 wrote:
    Does anyone remember the fairly recent Supreme Cycle thread?

Well, it started a thought that wouldn't go away, so on Thursday morning I start my first bit of touring. I've gone for the easy option of a week in France! I'll mostly be wandering around Brittany and Normandy as travelling to and from St. Malo.

The panniers are packed already, and I can't wait! Fingers crossed it'll be disaster free! I won't be doing any killer distances, as I'm not fit enough, but hopefully I'll have an enjoyable and memorable trip.

Remember it? I started it!

See new thread.....

In trip last week I used the Isle of Skye as a transit to further north. Seemed excellent to cycle on to the ferry, get it over to Skye, then spend an hour or two cycling to the bridge and back off Skye. Though the roads just after that went up and down like BP shares.... :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rf6
    One more sleep.

I'll be camping, hopefully by just coming across a site at roughly the right time. If not, I'll find a bit of grass somewhere.

I'm taking the "vomit comet" from Weymouth to Jersey, then another from Jersey to St. Malo. Get there late evening, so just looking to cycle out of the town, get a few miles in and get pitched somewhere. Luckily I know someone with a house near Mont St. Michel, so have a bath stop!

I don't think the 2 hour lunch has changed - it was alive and kicking in November. I kinda like that tho - work to live.

Anyhoo, the panniers, tent etc are all packed. so I think I'm all set. Just got to take the pooch to mothers!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    lastant wrote:

:shock:

No, I'm thoroughly metricised now, after 15 years on the continent I scarcely know what a mile is anymore. Still, at least I'm now used to riding on the right.... :-)

The thing about the two hour lunches is just to make sure you've got your provisions in! Nothing worse than turning up in a small village starving hungry, only to find out the whole place is closed.... Sunday's aren't really good for shopping either. Can remember the five of us sitting in a tent discussing roast chicken one evening where we hadn't made the shops.... TBH I'm surprised there were still five of us the next morning, I half expected to awaken to a few gnawed clean human bones and a sense of guilt...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    rf6 wrote:
    One more sleep.

I'll be camping, hopefully by just coming across a site at roughly the right time. If not, I'll find a bit of grass somewhere.

I'm taking the "vomit comet" from Weymouth to Jersey, then another from Jersey to St. Malo. Get there late evening, so just looking to cycle out of the town, get a few miles in and get pitched somewhere. Luckily I know someone with a house near Mont St. Michel, so have a bath stop!

I don't think the 2 hour lunch has changed - it was alive and kicking in November. I kinda like that tho - work to live.

Anyhoo, the panniers, tent etc are all packed. so I think I'm all set. Just got to take the pooch to mothers!

Enjoy! My last tip is to avoid drinking copious quantities of black label Smirnoff on the ferry over. It didn't work well for us.
  • rf6
    edited July 2010
    I'm back, a bit burnt and a bit tired. In all I did just over 330km over 5 days of riding, which was enough for me. Weather was hot and sunny, a fine excuse for the occasional stop for a cold one.

The only problem I had was a tube deflation due to a faulty valve after 270km. As I started to fix it, I was joined by 2 blokes who came out of a house, then a group of 6 roadies who also stopped to help, so the simple task of changing a tube was taken over by 8 Frenchmen!

This was typical of the French I met. Polite, friendly and incredibly helpful. I've got so many stories, but I think the highlight was being stopped by a Gendarme for speeding!

I think it's fair to say I've been bitten by the bug - started looking at touring bikes, as my old mtb is not the most suitable thing for this (but was damn comfy, and didn't let me down).

So, if you've ever considered a tour, my advice is go for it. I didn't think I would travel as far, see as many places or meet so many great people, it really was a life affirming experience, and one others should consider.
  • lost_in_thought
    Hurrah!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, it's great fun, and I'd definitely echo the advice in your last paragraph. My only touring regret is that I didn't do more of it during my 11month work hiatus.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    It's on my list of things to do, but first I need a tourer in my size so that'll take a few years I reckon :)
  • rf6
    Cafewanda wrote:
    It's on my list of things to do, but first I need a tourer in my size so that'll take a few years I reckon :)

I managed with a bog standard mtb - a Carrera Fury. I met a German lad who was half way through a 2,000km trip, also on a mountain bike, with knobblies and everything. Don't wait, just make do with what you've got. You'll have a blast!