Will it get easier?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited July 2010 in MTB general
So will riding with front suspension get easier and feel better?

I have been happily riding for well over a year on red/black graded trails on rigid forks, but after a long ride 2 weeks back with a crazy amount of braking bumps; my wrists and thumbs were aching for days. :x

I bought myself some Tora 318s, slapped them on the bike and got the correct pressure for the sag and set the rebound adjuster to control any "pogo" and went to Cannock at the weekend. :D

So the problem comes when cornering quickly and techy ascents. I have lost all of my confidence around fast berms/corners as I found it very difficult to tell if my front wheel had traction. Felt like it was sliding on most corners which lead me to back off and overshoot a lot of exits. :x

On the descents where it used to be very easy to shift my weight to get over big roots and rock steps I found the bike was sluggish to 'obey' which lead to a few obsticles being game stoppers that used to be my bread and butter :(

I also found some bits of the trail where I used to really enjoy the challenge of the roughness, felt weak and tame. :cry:

Please someone tell me that it becomes more natural and intuative over time :?

Comments

• underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Kiblams wrote:

I bought myself some Tora 318s, slapped them on the bike and got the correct pressure for the sag

The correct pressure according to who? It's obviously not the correct pressure for your style of riding, keep playing about with it until you find that sweet spot for your own riding style and enjoyment.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    What sag did you set them at?
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Kiblams
    robertpb wrote:
    What sag did you set them at?

25% good sir.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I wouldn't worry too much Kiblams-Cannock is very dusty and not very grippy atm. I had a good high speed off on the Upper Clif decent on Friday :roll: Perhaps try a bit less pressure in the forks though?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Strange. Even when I got my first ever super cheapy suspension forks, I could feel more "feedback" from the trail, as it wasn't being drowned out by bone shaking rattled-aboutiness.
    All the forks I've had since have felt much better, and give a great sense of connectedness between me and the trail.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    It'll probably just take a little bit of adjusting to, much like it would take everyone who rides suss forks a while to get used to fully rigid... or you're now overbiked :wink:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Don't you find that the bike I've had longest feels most comfortable, and I guess its the same changing your forks, almost like a new bike? I'm sure it'll be great when you get used.
  • Anonymous
    woodnut wrote:
    Don't you find that the bike I've had longest feels most comfortable.
    no, I hate your bike. I like MY bike :lol:
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    woodnut wrote:
    Don't you find that the bike I've had longest feels most comfortable.
    no, I hate your bike. I like MY bike :lol:

Doh. :oops:

You know what I was trying to say....
  • Anonymous
    Yes, I do, but I was just trying to keep it a secret that whilst you're asleep at night, I'm riding the arse out of your bike :lol:
  • Kiblams
    Hmmm... I guess I will have to keep at it and see if I can adapt my riding style, I was actually faster over straight techy bits (like rock gardens) but the sensation around the bends was most odd. Could it have been the suspension dipping that made me think the wheel was sliding?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I went from a rigid to a full susser, everything about it didn't have flow, but gradually I changed a few things.

Now feels like second skin, takes that away when you make major changes to your steed.

25% sag should be OK but try 15 through to 30% and ride something you know pretty well and find out what suits best.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you are used to a rigid you will be used to absorbing the bumps so will be riding light rather than loading the front to get more grip AND you have to set up the air and rebound which can take a few (lots) tries :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You'll probably get used to it, it's just how suspension feels ;) I guess you lose a little momentum in the corners because of it etc, though if it's set up properly, it should be fairly responsive. Considering the fact that you're used to rigid forks, try less sag, not more, as some people seem to be suggesting (25% sag seems like a lot to me, i don't like to run much more than 15% as i like my ride quite firm and responsive). Keep playing with it until you find a setting you like.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Listen to what Tom BB's saying on this one. I hadn't been on the mtb for a few weeks and couldn't believe how slippy the dust is atm.

Try adjusting the pressures a bit to see if you can get it sweet but don't give up on it until the dusty trails start giving back a bit more grip (probably after a bit of rain!!).
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Kiblams
    Steve_F wrote:
    Listen to what Tom BB's saying on this one. I hadn't been on the mtb for a few weeks and couldn't believe how slippy the dust is atm.

Try adjusting the pressures a bit to see if you can get it sweet but don't give up on it until the dusty trails start giving back a bit more grip (probably after a bit of rain!!).

Thanks, I won't be able to get out on the bike for a few weeks as I am off on my honeymoon :( / :D

Think I will try a different Tyre too, I have been using 2.4 MKs on the front when rigid (great at low pressures) and I think that isn't needed now anyway. Maybe go back to what I used to ride (Conti Verts) as they never let me down when it comes to grip.

just wish I had more time to test the pressures of both the Toras and my front tyre, didn't help that i left my shock pump at home last weekend :roll:

Cheers again guys, i will persist for a few months and see how it goes with different front tyres and pressures, if no luck they will be back on eBay :lol:
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    reckon it's just gonna take a while to get used to having some bounce up front. You'll soon learn when to weight/un-weight it with a bit of practice and your flow should return.

I agree with the comments about Cannock being slippy at the moment too, I was there Sunday and grip in some of the flatter corners was minimal!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Kiblams
    Well i had another ride last weekend after getting back from holiday and the bike fealt better this time, I had a play with the compression damping and that ma have played a big part in it. No more dipping front end on fast corners to affect my confidence, though I am sure the rainfall we have had helped wit that also.

I found myself having to really over exagerate my body language to get the bike to do what I wanted it to on technical ascents, though I am sure that I will get used to that in time.

I am closer to being convinced that suspension is the way forward :wink: