What to read?

Peter_K
Peter_K Posts: 193
edited July 2010 in Pro race
I'm new to cycling and would like to learn more about the history of the sport. Are there any books that you would recommend me to read that would help me improve my basic knowledge.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'd recommend the Yellow Jersey Companion to the Tour de France. It's done an encyclopedia style format so you can easily dip in and out of it (excellent 'toilet book').

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellow-Jersey-Companion-Tour-France/dp/0224080164/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1277737914&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Depends how far back you want to go and whether you want "warts'n'all" or a more romanticised version.

A good one for the very early history of cycle racing (America 1880s) is "Major" by Todd Balf which covers the life of the legendary black track racer Marshall "Major" Taylor who had to fight prejudice as well as his opponents.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Fallen Angel

Tomorrow we Ride

Breaking the Chain

The Rider

The tour is won on Alpe d'Huez (?)

Should keep you going!

Strava is not Zen.
  • If you are looking for biographys to read in the future,
    "In search of Robert Millar" is the best cycling biography by far in my opinion.
    “To understand me, you have to meet me and be around me. And then only if I'm in a good mood - don't meet me in a bad mood.”
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    The Lancet
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Death of Marco Pantani - One of the Icons of the sport

Bad Blood A look at the modern peloton and as the name suggests doping. A really good read

Put me back on My Bike - Greatest British Cyclist and a great read

Fallen Angel, the Passion of Fausto Coppi Just started this one, about the Italian legend

Treasures of the Tour de France - Great collection from the history and archives of the tour

The Tour is won on the Alpe - The most famous battles on the one of the Tour's iconic climbs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2010
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wheelies and Skids by NapD.

Or should I wait for it on DVD?
  • Peter_K
    Peter_K Posts: 193
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've just ordered:
    Fallen Angel, the Passion of Fausto Coppi
    Put me back on My Bike
    Yellow Jersey Companion to the Tour De France
    In Search of Robert Millar
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Enjoy :)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Chris Sidwells has got a new one out called A race for madmen 978 0 00 732141 4. Just got it out of library (well I work there so there has to be a perk.)
    James Startt Tour de France/Tour de force has lots of nice pics.
    A moustache, poison and blue glasses by Svend Novrup.
    Had a request this week for Bradley Wiggins so someone has been reading in the papers......

You could try Amazon and put in Tour de France - you'll get lots of ideas from there ..... or of course go to your local library and ask them. :D
    (Your library - use it or lose it - especially in the current climate)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    If you're just eager for as many facts as possible, along with a little gossip, Matt Rendell's book Blazing Saddles: The Cruel and Unusual History of the Tour De France is a little gem. A quick read, but you'll probably find yourself coming back to it again and again because it's written year by year (mostly). Especially good in chronicling the early years.

But the very best has to be "In Search of Robert Millar".

And can I second Ms Tree's plea regarding libraries. (After you've read the books you've ordered, that is).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    If you have lots (and lots) of spare time, then any posts by biking bernie.
    Mens agitat molem