Why are Speedkings rated so badly here?

xCatch22x
xCatch22x Posts: 36
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hello all,

Why are the Speedkings tyres rated so badly? Do they really perform worse than most other brands.

I have a pair on my bike and so far, dry riding only, they seem to work ok on most terrain.

Wayne.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use them and get on fine. I think most people have the cheaper ones which are heavier and a harder compound, but even then the magazine I write for, WMB, rate them highly.

For a fast rolling, dry condition tyre I think they are excellent. Only wet slimy stuff lets them down. They clear mud very well too.

Maybe the ground in Chap is ideal :wink:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I liked them, had some of the first Supersonic ones, before they went to their 'Black Chili' compound, which apparently makes them grippier.

Would probably still use them, but find Schwalbe Rocket Rons convert far more easily to tubeless and are marginally grippier.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited June 2010
    I quite like the Race King but couldn't get on with the Speed King at all... It wasn't that it was terrible, just that it had less grip than some faster tyres, which makes it pretty pointless.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Same with Mountain Kings too - they get hammered on here most of the time. I just swapped by Kenda Nevegals for MK's during the dry summer - perfect for trail centres really and I've never had any issues with MK's before.

Just ordered some Race Kings for my hardtail too. Nowt wrong with Conti kit IMO! :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I had the standard ones I think and almost took my bike back after one ride (Boardman FS).

Have a few different bikes with various different tyres and have never felt such an uninspiring and slippy front tyre. Couldn't push it into a single fast corner with any confidence it would hold it's line.

I do like it as a back tyre as it rolls very quickly but I wouldn't try it in any conditions again on the front.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike