Mobile GPS question...

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Right,

As I understand it, when you buy a proper GPS you can input/download routes in a .gpx format and you can then go on your ride with the device pointing you in the right direction.

Do any GPS applications for mobiles do this? Memory-map for iPhone looks like it might but iPhones are pretty expensive (approx twice the price of the HTC desire (which looks pretty good)) for example, so I'm looking for alternatives...

So, can mobile GPS apps direct you along a specified route and, if so, what ones do you use and are they any good?

Thanks,

James

Comments

• TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Take a look at viewranger and also a thread back a day or so ago if you have windows mobile.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    +1 for Viewranger. Great piece of software.
  • twiggllett
    twiggllett Posts: 15
    Nokia 5230 costs about £130 on PAYG, or free on almost any contract has inbuilt GPS, no problems so far with getting lost, I keep it in a pocket so no handlebar mounting.

viewranger is excellent, and you can also use either endomondo or sportstracker (both free) to record your rides, although viewranger does it as well, but you have to manually record after each one.

As a further bonus, OVI maps is free from nokia and works very well as an in-car satnav too.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    You do know that memory maps was an HTC application before iphone right?

So my suggestion for software like memory maps that will run on an HTC is well Memory maps.

Only Wimo so far though
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Memory Map you can, however, I'm not sure what the iPhone app will be like. From what I've gathered, the iPhone's battery is terrible when you have the GPS switched on.

Someone told me that it was pointless using an iPhone as a GPS as by the time the battery had run out, he could still see his car. :?

I'm not sure that theres any "all-in-one" device that you can comfortably use for a long ride without the worry of the battery running out. I've used quite a few, Memory Map was the best one I tried, but the iPAQ I was using wasn't very acurate with the GPS signal and the battery wasn't too good. So I bought a dedicated device.
    Craig Rogers
  • slimboyjim
    I've heard about the terrible battery life of most smart phones, but you can buy battery packs that will extend them (they plug into the USB ports). I'm only usually out for about 3 hours anyway so shouldn't be an issue!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use one of these with my Nokia n97 mini. Works well.

15376553m.jpg
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    edited June 2010
    cavegiant wrote:

You do know that HTC manufactures the phone and Microsoft produces the operating system right?

It runs on WM on HTC devices.

OP - try picking up a 2nd HTC Touch on ebay, you can pick them up cheap. Perfect for running MM.
  • PaulBarman
    PaulBarman Posts: 35
    you can import & export gpx files using the 'MotionX GPS' app on the iphone. It has mapping, custom waypoints, track recorder etc like a dedicated gps device. Battery life using this app is about 4hrs on a 3GS but I take a Kensington USB battery pack with me that just about triples this.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    How good are Nokia 5230 both for MTB GPS, and as a general phone for internet browsing(basic bbc sports, facebook etc?), does anyone have any hands on experience with these cause they're going cheap as chips online £70 aint half bad for a phone with GPS, music player etc.

Also how accurate is the GPS on it?

Cheers.
  • slimboyjim
    cavegiant wrote:

So my suggestion for software like memory maps that will run on an HTC is well Memory maps.

No - I didn't know this. :roll: Thanks for the info as it makes everything a bit easier.

Still pondering whether to pay extra for the pointless bling of an iPhone 4 (once it becomes readily available) or go for the cheaper HTC though...
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    You could try Oruxmaps for the HTC Desire. Downloaded it but not had a chance to play with it yet.
  • Are these any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-/290 ... 500wt_1154
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Magellan-TRIT ... 803wt_1137

All i want to do is get the map, put markers on it (so it leaves a line to follow) and be able to follow it..Dont care about anything else tbh, just dont want to get miles of track again.

Dont have a clue bout this GPS malarky :lol:
  • twiggllett
    twiggllett Posts: 15
    How good are Nokia 5230 both for MTB GPS, and as a general phone for internet browsing(basic bbc sports, facebook etc?), does anyone have any hands on experience with these cause they're going cheap as chips online £70 aint half bad for a phone with GPS, music player etc.
    Also how accurate is the GPS on it?

I've had my 5230 for about 6 months, all good so far. use viewranger for mapping and endomondo for records, on a full charge it lasts about 4-5 hours no probs.

Works well as a phone and music player too, you get a full keyboard when you turn it sideways like an iphone so email is ok, nokia does a good email sync program,(works with hotmail at least) and the internet is fine for what i need (just basic websites etc).

GPS is very accurate for everything I have used it for, Also it has free satnav software too which works fine in the car.

So far very impressed especially for the price, and I've fallen off with it in my pocket and it still works too...
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Thanks very much for that, now considering it as I quite fancy the GPS and many people have said that the apps for tracking and mapping are excellent.
  • cavegiant
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    cavegiant wrote:

You do know that HTC manufactures the phone and Microsoft produces the operating system right?

It runs on WM on HTC devices.

OP - try picking up a 2nd HTC Touch on ebay, you can pick them up cheap. Perfect for running MM.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I have used is succesfully on

XDA orbit
    XDA orbit 2
    HTC Touch HD
    HTC Touch HD 2.

The battery life for all will last about 5 hours. I don't normally use a spare battery but I carry one.

When I was going for multiple day trips I would use a mini usb adaptor to a home rigged battery pack. 5 AA rechargable would keep it live for days.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant
    I am also led to believe the iphone version is very stripped down and does not offer the functionality of the winmo version.

You do not realise how useful it is until you get one and strap it to your bars.

I am a very good map reader, so navigation is rarely a problem (unless you start in the wrong place, thanks wife) but this let me spend my time looking at the scenery, not conventration on indicators for a mapcheck.

awesome tool.
  • Chisholm
    Chisholm Posts: 20
    I'd recommend chasing down a Samsung Portal i5700 on fleabay, they go for £120 and have a massive battery so last a long while. You can get free sat nav via google maps for it, but there a numbertracker apps as well, my favourites being Cardiotrainer and sportypal.

Cardio trainer has an add on feature where you can race yourself over a known recorded route. I was suprisingly impressed.

As an alternative you can get a T-moble Pulse Mini on {PAYG for £80, it does the same stuff but the battery is smaller. Then again you can always buy a spare
    Btwin Sport 3
    Scott Scale 50
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Depends...do you want a system to log where you have been or a system to tell you where to go? If it's just to log your ride then don't bother with the pay-for services...www.mapmytracks.com works very well and keeps the logs which you can upload to their website and download in .GPX format to upload to a GPS unit (or I think the phone itself) - but it isn't an actual GPS unit to load a track on and follow the directions.

www.endomondo.com is similar but doesn't save your activities so if you don't upload it to the website you loose it.

If you want something to give you directions then it's going to be a paid for service but is that what you need? What is described as getting lost? If it is on a trail you don'ty know and not sure where to go then any phone that can access online mapping can help you find a way out (needs a phone signal though)...or if you want to be 'led by the hand' then something like viewranger or MemoryMap is probably the way forward - but it's not cheap.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • slimboyjim
    DB - I'm looking for one that shows you where to go really. I ride on my own most of the time so it takes some of the stress out of going somewhere new, particularly as I'd like to start doing a bit more natural riding... I know I'll probably have to pay somewhere down the line but I figured most apps seem to give you a certain area of mapping free and, if I'm careful with it, I shouldn't end up paying out too much...