Ride to the Horns 2010 - 4th July, Leighton Buzzard

GFowler22
GFowler22 Posts: 78
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone is doing this sportive at the weekend? I signed up for it and I've not heard a great deal about the specific details of the ride, foodstops etc, detailed route map.

There is a little information on the website but not a great deal, I was wondering if anyone had been given a confirmation email about the event?

*Just as I wrote this they've now put information up on the website!*

http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/ridetothe ... event.html

cheers, Gavin

Comments

• plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    doing this (if the tight hamstring I picked up last weekend is OK).

Hope the weather cools down a bit
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Also doing this - thankfully the weather is cooling a little now!
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I'm doing this, although the shorter one as I've been on the bike once in the last 5 weeks :cry:

I hear it is one of the better ones and the guys who run it also run others. I will report back on Monday once I get released from Hospital due to suffering from exhaustion :lol:
  • Morning all.
    Long time lurker and first time poster.
    I'll be doing this one too - the long one.
    A bit anxious as I've not had the time to do any long rides this year. Just three rides over 50 miles all year...

Any one know how bad the hills are? This is pretty local to me so I do the Downs and Ivinghoe Beacon quite a bit, but haven't done any of the others.
    What's the Rush??
  • GFowler22
    GFowler22 Posts: 78
    Well looking at the route on an OS map, there are a few short sharp chevron hills and a couple of double chevron (standing on pedals I think!). I think there is about 1500m of climbing involved in the long route.

I'm not affiliated to a club or team so if anyone fancies a riding partner - I'm looking to average between 18-19mph over the route, to give you an idea of pace.

I'll be the one in the all yellow kit, attracting the flies!

Gavin Fowler
  • Double chevrons..

B**l**ks

Got to love those...
    NOT

Thanks for the info - that's good to know.

Hope you have a good ride - there is no way that I will be any where near 18-19mph!!!!!
    What's the Rush??
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    I'm also doing the long ride - 96 miles and 1885m of ascent according to the GPX:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?l ... 258698.gpx

The biggest hill is probably Whiteleaf near Princes Risborough. It ramps up almost straight from the main road, eases off past the bus shelter and then gets steeper round the bend.

Other notable hills are Dunsmore, The Hale (done a few times on my mountain bike, but never on my road bike) and The Crong (a rough, rollercoaster road leads up to it).
  • marcusjb
    Most hills in the Chilterns (in my experience) are not ever so long - however, they make up for it with some seriously steep gradients!

Looking forward to it (sort of!) - first really big ride since a lung operation - done a few 70 mile rides this year, but nothing at this length - should be fun!
  • Thanks for that - whilst it's probably best NOT to know what's coming, i am so unfit it would be a good idea to know when the really lumpy stuff finishes!

I've just been out and got an OS map myself, so I can see that it looks as though they have identified all of the big hills in the area and then joined them up!

I do Ivinghoe Beacon and Bison Hill (near Whipsnade) quite often, and i was pleased to see that Bison Hill isn't on the route. Ivinghoe is OK, just long and steady, but coming after the previous hills I am sure it will be a struggle. After that though, it's not too bad all the way home.

Having seen them on the map now, it looks pretty daunting to someone like me, but I will take my time and see how I do.

Thanks again.
    What's the Rush??
  • heystacky
    heystacky Posts: 30
    Hi BTW,i am also riding this,you will be fine with a few 50,s under your belt and great practising for bison,same sort of training i did for tour of peak district 100.bison,s a great hill.i live in dunstable ,can also reccomend toms hill,in aldbury,good luck sunday.
  • heystacky - thanks for that! That is a little reassuring at least.

I'm in Slip End, so usually head out that way through Markyate and beyond most weekends.

Have a good one.
    What's the Rush??
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158
    Alan14 wrote:
    Other notable hills are Dunsmore, The Hale (done a few times on my mountain bike, but never on my road bike) and The Crong (a rough, rollercoaster road leads up to it).

Care to enlighten me as to exactly where "the Crong" is, have heard of it but don't know whereabouts.

BTW - the Hale is OK on a road bike (with a triple) :lol:

Ta
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I can't believe it... another sportive in the Chilterns... is there going to be one every week all summer?

Sounds like a poorer version of the Chiltern 100, according to what I read
    left the forum March 2023
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    pllb wrote:
    Alan14 wrote:

Care to enlighten me as to exactly where "the Crong" is, have heard of it but don't know whereabouts.
    Between Wendover and Tring, about 1 mile north of The Hale.
  • heystacky
    heystacky Posts: 30
    How did everyone get on,i found it tough,but well organised ,thought the signage were the 2 routes crossed could have been better,my mate got it wrong and missed a good 8 miles out.imo tougher than tour of peak district.
  • marcusjb
    Great day - well organised for sure. Climbs were challenging, but nothing compared to the headwinds - particularly the last 15 miles!

Really enjoyed it though - glad to be home though.
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    I enjoyed that - my first sportive. Having done one or two Audax rides, I was nervous about the pace of others, but let them get on with it, and got round in 7.5 hours. Met up with a guy called Steve, and we kept each other company.

I'll be back for it again next year.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    That was so tough. Perhaps I should have done, you know, a long ride in the preceding 8 months? And maybe I should have checked the climbs before signing up (but then if I had, I'd never have gone for it). However, I finished, despite having to borrow a wheel at the second pit stop as my Fulcrums chucked a spoke halfway up The Hale. A minute over 6 hours moving time and 123rd place, I guess that'll do.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I slept through my alarm and missed it!!! Not bloomin happy! Oh well, maybe next year. I hear it was a good ride, but I'm surprised they missed out Bison Hill. Will have to go looking for the route at some point.