Tire pressure for 90kg rider

Wheel Hugger
Wheel Hugger Posts: 6
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi ive a question on what recommended tire pressure to use. I ride 22mm continental tubs. I have been putting in 150/60psi but someone said to me thats too much??
any views would be appreciated!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    That sounds a bit much, i'm the same weight and i run less than that in my 20mm pro 3 which are clinchers.

I'd recommend about 120/130 f/r
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    What does it say on the sidewall?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • it says max 170psi..
  • TommyEss
    Tubs go to higher pressures than clinchers - when I weighed that much, I was pretty much inflating my clinchers to the max pressure stated.

I'm lighter now, about 75kg, and I run my track tubs at about 140 (10-11 bar generally)

From that, I'd say you were about right where you are.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Could be worth checking the max pressure your rims advise too !

My mavics say 140, but my vredestein tyres had a max psi of 170.

I think you can easily go too high on pressures though - the wheel doesnt ride as well - its bobbling around over every bit of gravel on the road.
  • TommyEss wrote:
    Tubs go to higher pressures than clinchers - when I weighed that much

theres alot more of me to love!!! thanks for the tips guys..

i have 4 spoke deep xentis pair.. i might check out to see what they say..

the ride doesnt feel bumpy but on very bad roads it can be uncomfortable at times.. I am doing a half ironman in antwerp in july and i would say there roads are better than ours!
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    tub rims don't have a max pressure, do they?
  • TommyEss
    See now that you've told us you're racing - comfort really shouldn't come in to it. Whack em up! So long as they're not completely skittering all over the road then you're fine.

Best of luck for Antwerp.
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    face in plam.....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    TommyEss wrote:
    See now that you've told us you're racing - comfort really shouldn't come in to it. Whack em up! So long as they're not completely skittering all over the road then you're fine.

Fine certainly, but you're likely going slower than someone who picks an appropriate tyre pressure, rather than just a maximum.

The tyre manufacturers probably have some good advice, it's very rare for the max to be the most appropriate pressure on regular roads.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/