Freely rotating FSA Mega Exo non-drive side BB cup...

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited June 2010 in The workshop
The BB has play in it and needs replacing, but alarmingly the non-drive side cup can be spun around either way, with no real resistance. I don't really know how these things go together, but am concerned that the threads on the frame must have been stripped for it to do this, as it neither tightens nor loosens, nor moves in or out, just goes round and round. I haven't tried taking it apart any further to investigate as I am still saving for the new BB and don't want it to disintegrate on me, but does it sound like I have totalled the (alloy) frame already?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    odd.

what frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • salsajake
    Kona Jake. The cups must be threaded because they have a torque reading on them. Either the frame threads have been wiped out, or the cup has sheared from the threaded part, which might be more likely because it is turning with such low friction, I could even see it rotating slightly this way and that as I was riding along. Will take it down the LBS because something is clearly very wrong, but need to know if I am saving for a new Chris King BB or a new frame (and BB)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep will be a threaded BB on that frame. either the threads on the frame and BB cup are on the extremes of tolerances and have stripped the threads of the softer one (cup) or the cup has broken.

Dont bother with the CK BB just get another (any) and then replace the bearings when they Wear out.

Betd provide a service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • salsajake
    there is so little friction the cup must have sheared from the threaded part. Nice little job for the LBS to remove the threaded part from the frame hopefully! think i'll get a hope bb as I can actually afford one of them, also not sure CK BBs work on FSA chainsets either, and deffo can't afford a new chainset at the moment.