Security allen bolts vs. torx bolts vs. anything else?

shinybits
shinybits Posts: 20
edited June 2013 in The workshop
Hi all,

Hoping to make sure none of my bits go walk about by installing some non-standard bolts which hopefully the average bike thief doesn't have in his back pocket.

Specifically I'm thinking seat tube clamp, saddle clamp, and stem bolts.

Anyone got any experience with security allen bolts, which have a protruding centre pin, like this:
401880_m.jpg

Another option is replacing allen bolts with torx bolts and buying a torx allen set - see here.

I realise there are other options like pitlock, but they are expensive and wondered whether anyone had tried these things? Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a question for you.

do you leave the bike in the same place or similar place all the time?

then it does not matter what you do if they want it they will have it.

Torx bit are almost standard now. and "security" bit have been available to buy for years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You can get "Security Torx" which are pinned like the hex. socket screws, but as nicklouse says, anybody can go and buy a set of security bits - three-winged Phillips-type, and all sorts.

You'd probably find that to buy the small quantities of different fasteners you need that the cost outlay would be quite high - minimum quantity order and all that.

And you'd need to carry a set of tools around with you, or roadside repairs might become an issue...

Security fasteners might make the thief nick the whole bike rather than just the parts he wanted.
  • shinybits
    shinybits Posts: 20
    It is securely parked most of the time, it's just for when I'm out and about and it's parked up outside a pub or a shop (always different places).
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I managed to break a security Torx bit once without using too much force, but that said it was a cheapo bit set. They are certainly commonly available, so might not be a great security option, but it sounds like you're looking to dissuade opportunists.

I like the idea of putting Torx on there though, because the fasteners stay on the tool better. It's not so much of a problem with bikes, mostly when you're upside-down supporting your weight with one hand and holding the tool+screw in the other. You're doing bike maintenance wrong if that's a problem though.

As for security heads.... meh. If it was me, I'd go for Torx or Robertson. Probably easier to find decent quality screws too.

Edit: Don't buy cheap tools! Wiha are really really well made, and so are Bahco. There will be other makes too.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bikedork
    bikedork Posts: 1
    Living in San Francisco, I've tried most everything to keep my components on my bike. The best I could think of is to leash my saddle and swap my allen bolts for torx security bolts.

See:
    www.bicyclebolts.com
  • ericthexm
    ericthexm Posts: 1
    This is the best and possibly only real solution.

Not cheap but beautifully made from titanium and with a unique key system.

atomic22.com
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i've had a few bikes stolen over the years but never any components

if you're that concerned, and your ride isn't too long or hilly I'd buy a second hand clunker, make it single speed and feel safe knowing nobody will want to steal it or the components from it
  • shinybits posted the question on 28 Jun 2010. By now I guess he/she has decided what to do.