Schlecks to new Luxembourg based team

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Will be interesting to see if they are able to get any big names and quality domestiques to join......

I hope Saxo continues strong and that they can get some quality new riders with all that extra money which will be freed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I hope Saxo continues strong and that they can get some quality new riders with all that extra money which will be freed.

You realise Riis has no sponsor? And no money? And with his star riders off he will find getting a new sponsor even more difficult.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    iainf72 wrote:

You realise Riis has no sponsor? And no money? And with his star riders off he will find getting a new sponsor even more difficult.

Indeed, does make you wonder what is going to happen to Riis Cycling as a whole, that's some serious rebuilding he will have to do and quickly.
    Lost Sastre, now the Schlecks, not good for getting a new sponsor at all.
    Still I hope he does come up trumps, not good to see teams collapse.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    iainf72 wrote:

Got to be a matter of time until Cancellara jumps into Andy Rihs's arms
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Sonny73 wrote:
    not good to see teams collapse.

I agree but I won't shed a tear if Riis is finally forced out of the sport.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Weird isn't it? Saxo's one of the most successful, powerful teams. They've got the best TTist (and also one of the best classics riders) in Fabian. They have one of the top 5 stage racers in Andy and another great stage racer in Frank. A great new young rider Richie Porte...the list goes on and one and yet, he couldn't get a sponsor!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Funny that eh? You'd think the team was tainted by something.
  • iainf72
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4698/ ... -Riis.aspx

I hadn't realised Nygaard had already left Sky. I see some of the press are already linking Sunderland with the squad.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    donrhummy wrote:
    Weird isn't it? Saxo's one of the most successful, powerful teams. They've got the best TTist (and also one of the best classics riders) in Fabian. They have one of the top 5 stage racers in Andy and another great stage racer in Frank. A great new young rider Richie Porte...the list goes on and one and yet, he couldn't get a sponsor!
    That's the sad part. You'd think companies would be queuing up for the chance to back this team. I wonder how much of a factor Riis is here, whether his presence, and the links to Cecchini and Fuentes, put off sponsors.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Must be very tempting to drop both Schlecks for the Tour and put the entire team behind Fuglsang :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    calvjones wrote:
    Must be very tempting to drop both Schlecks for the Tour and put the entire team behind Fuglsang :D

Fuglsang is said to be joining the Schlecks at this new team.
  • calvjones
    andyp wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Well indeed, but I imagine if you gave him 100% support at the Tour, staying as Captain might then seem more palatable than 5yrs working for the Schlecks.

And if it did pay off, you'd have a better chance of attracting a sponsor than supporting 2 guys who are off anyway.

Strava is not Zen.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Kléber wrote:
    You'd think companies would be queuing up for the chance to back this team. I wonder how much of a factor Riis is here, whether his presence, and the links to Cecchini and Fuentes, put off sponsors.
    Spent time in team Ariosta then continued in the Gwiss team (that helped, but not enough) and then announces in the Majorca spring training camps that he will win the TDF for his Telekom team. hoh, hoh, hoh, :lol::lol::lol: - - and he did. :roll:
    I'm sure I read he took someone to court for Libel regarding him needing drugs to win in 1996.
    I agree but I won't shed a tear if Riis is finally forced out of the sport
    Dead right about this vermin.

What you people have suggested about Indurain is possible but my argument that he was clean and didn't have to (except for the spray for breathing) is there for all to see.
    1996 a clean Indurain cannot hold a candle to juiced up Riis and Dufaux for example and so he Retires.!
    say what you like but cycling is all about body language.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • iainf72
    deejay wrote:
    What you people have suggested about Indurain is possible but my argument that he was clean and didn't have to (except for the spray for breathing) is there for all to see.

Sorry, but Indurain became a GC guy after working with Conconi / Cecchini. And "losing some weight"

I think that says all anyone needs to know.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Sorry, but Indurain became a GC guy after working with Conconi / Cecchini. And "losing some weight"

Oh I see, No drugs involved but just old fashioned Coaching. Thanks.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    If Saxo do fold, there'll be some serious talent available in the market place at the end of the season!
  • andyp
    deejay wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Oh I see, No drugs involved but just old fashioned Coaching. Thanks.

Except Conconi/Cecchini weren't 'old fashioned coaches'. They're expertise in blood doping using EPO is what established their reputations.
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Well indeed, but I imagine if you gave him 100% support at the Tour, staying as Captain might then seem more palatable than 5yrs working for the Schlecks.

And if it did pay off, you'd have a better chance of attracting a sponsor than supporting 2 guys who are off anyway.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsan ... -with-riis

Prescient, me. Considering changing my PTP pick!

Strava is not Zen.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    So apparently, the Schlecks are NOT signed on to the new team!

From Andy himself:
    If you must know I have four options for next year: staying with Bjarne, Kim and Brian's new team and two others that I can't discuss. But right now I'm a Saxo Bank rider and the most important thing is the Tour de France and where I finish come the end of the race.

I spoke with Bjarne at the Tour de Suisse and we'll see him tonight and we'll chat about the future, I'm sure of that. Yes, I have a few options but there are no new negotiations with Bjarne – they can't start until there's a sponsor.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/andy-s ... to-explode