Route Fail

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
See the bit where I thought I'd gotton onto the M10 (well, that's what my out of date satnav said despite me not believing it at first cos I didn't see any motorway signs), decided to get off at the next bridge by climbing up the nettle and bracken infested embankment, then trespass on somebody else's land, ride a twitchy road bike down a gravel path, passing a pub just as England scored (and then didn't).

untitled.jpg

(It's not the M10 any more apparently, it's the A414, so perfectly legal to cycle along, if not a little scary).

Still, sitting here with my legs covered in welts and stinging like mad, despite washing them and covering them in cream. They must put special extra hard nut nettles on motorway embankments.

Ooowwuch!

Somebody tell me a worse story to make me feel better.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Okay. On a similar vein...

I was out on a 35 mile circuit and stopped in a pub car park because I thought I heard my phone receive a message and needed a quick drink from a water bottle anyway.

Checked the phone - replied to message and had a drink. Clipped in and set off... then realised I had left the saddle bag open and rather than stop I tried to lean 'round and zip it shut.

I failed. :?

Spectacularly. :shock:

I tipped over and vanished into the biggest damn' patch of stinging nettles and hawthorn you have ever seen. I was still clipped in and all I could was try and protect my face, I managed to twist round and land on my left side, so that got stung to buggery but my head and right side were okay (ish)

I got out and looked like I had no part of me on the left free of stings. I actually was light-headed from the stings for a while and my God they hurt. I was at the furthest point from home so just decided to cycle back and found the cool breeze helped.

My wife freaked when I got back - apparently I was pale as a sheet and covered in welts. She got the old germoline out and slathered me in it. I spent the night in the spare bed 'cos frankly I stunk! :roll:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prj45
    HA HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • prj45
    Ooo, ouch, forgot about my stings for about 20 seconds though, thanks!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,637
    Well not nettle related but on the theme of "I'm not sure I want to be on this road" I once cycled down to Bordeaux with a few mates, we were about 18 at the time. The low point (apart from the constant hunger) was cycling down this little curving hill which turned out to be a sliproad to a motorway. In fact it was the exit sliproad... Never wanted a reverse gear on a bike before.

The high point was probably the five of us, on seriously scrappy crap bikes (mine had no back brake and only about 3 useable gears by the second day, due to a bungy repair on a broken panier rack), loaded down with tens and kit, frankly quite rough and semlly looking, drafting a shaven legged roadie for four or five K, before eventually nipping past him. He wasn't exactly pleased.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:

Very stylish K_B :lol::lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I think the funniest bit of my adventure was lying in the middle of all this potential pain trying to work out how the hell I was going get out. :oops:

Still clipped into the bike and surrounded by nettles and thorns the size of my thumbs. I knew moving was going to hurt.... :?

What to do, what to do.... Answer? ouchouchouchouch
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter