Worrying

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
My (lady) Neighbour just stopped by to say Hi, and to ask if my little girl (3)would like to come to the park with her sons (2 and 4). The older one was on his little BMX bike, and wouldn't you know it, the front forks were on backwards!

Now, I'm not sure if the bike was assembled by his dad or not (I'm told he is useless mechanically), but apparently the bike had been to Halfords and they never said anything!

Having got the tools out and spun it around the right way, I did a check over everything else. The brakes needed a slight adjustment to work properly seeing as they were worn down a bit, the caps over the rear wheel bolts were loose (though not a safety problem, more to prevent the rear wheel bolt from cutting skin), and the handlebars turn rather too easily to be ridden safely. The tyes were also well below pressure at about 5-10psi rather than the 35psi maximum.

While the young chap isn't like to get up to excessive speeds on his 16" wheels in the park, does anyone else findin this rather worrying? That No.1 Halfords missed the bleedin' obvious; and that No.2 he is riding a bike which blind Freddies mechanic would know isn't set up safely?
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments