My bargain B'Twin.

lanky85
lanky85 Posts: 82
edited July 2012 in Your road bikes
4736233947_121b428352.jpg

My b'Twin Sport 1. Its totally as it came from the shop except the bargain bottle holders and Aldi saddle bag, and I upgraded the pedals to a set of SPD's.

It took me ages to find a bike I felt comfortable on, Im 6ft6 with long limbs and I tried this on the off chance and lucky for me it was comfy!

All done on the cheap as its all I can afford but I'm racking up the miles and can keep up with my mates on there pricier steads :):D

At a whisker under £270 I think its pretty fookin awsome :D
Andy.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Spot on.

Gateway to what it's all about. Riding!
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Thats a nice bike for £270.... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • lanky85
    Thanks! I just couldnt justify or afford £1k + on a good starter bike. however i am aware that my mates more expensive bikes roll faster so maybe if i get some spare pennies ill look at new wheels and tyres.

I really want to get into racing and have found Hog Hill (Redbridge cycling centre) is just up the road from me but I'm a bit worried i'll get laughed at on my cheapo wheels a bit like a mini turning up to race in the grand prix. :D
  • russelle
    russelle Posts: 46
    I'm soo tempted by one of these. What size did you go for?

Did you collect in store or get it delivered?
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Btwin's are an excellent starter bike, you get some decent stuff for your cash.
  • lanky85
    I got the 63cm because im 6ft6 and i bought it in store. I also bought the bottle cages and some b.twin bottles from there and all in came to under £280.

I know the spec probably aint great. The shifters, front and rear derailleurs have shimano written on them but on close look at the rear cassette it says sunrace? and the chainset is a prowheel ounce triple?

Wheels are tribal? and tryes are hutchiso nitros.

Andy.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Lanky,

Dont worry about being laughed at, just turn up and race. Its supposed to be fun, and if you're quick someone will soon be offering to give or lend you a bike. BTW I'm 50, fat have a nice bike, knackered knees and don't race - this really is embarrasing - getting old was never part of the plan.
  • lanky85
    mm1 true i should give it a go... IF I keep putting it off because I'm worried people will take the piss out of my equipment I could end up missing the opportunity and it will soon be too late.

What bike do you have then?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Just go race, mate... They wont be laughing long, if you're at the front!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Just turn up & race. In the real world, nobody will look down on you because of what you ride.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • russelle
    russelle Posts: 46
    Mine turned up yestreday, one of the spokes was flopping around & the rear rim has a flat spot , looks like a D rather than O :cry:

It's going back Tuesday.
  • I got the same bike altho smaller on saturday, went in to the store for it and i`m very pleased with it. I got the bottles and cages aswell :lol: but it being a smaller frame i can only fit 1 bottle on the now the other is too big.

I went for a ride on the mtb round the streets and what a difference between the two bikes, even with the forks lockout on the mtb :shock:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Cracking bike for not a lot of cash there :D

It's only people who aren't worth knowing who'll look down on your for riding a cheap or an untrendy bike. 8)
  • NaapjusuN1
    NaapjusuN1 Posts: 14
    Congrats! :D Hope you do well in the race :)
  • Rikkouri
    Rikkouri Posts: 1
    Thanks for your posts on this one guys. A friend of mine has just offered to sell me his 2nd hand one of these B'Twin bikes for £100 to use as a starter bike. I wasn't sure if it would be okay, but this post has reassured me!

Thanks
  • Nice, i had this decision to make also. I was looking at either the H/fords Carrera TdF, the Viking San Remo or Roma or the Tribal 3.
    I went for the Viking Roma as i'm a sucker for a pretty colour. Its my 1st bike after 15+ years away, my next choice will be somewhat..more involved. :)
  • Nice looking bike. I love my B'Twin