Touring Wales

random man
random man Posts: 1,518
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
I've just spent a week cycling round Wales, starting at Hereford on Sat 19th June and finishing at Shrewsbury today, 26th.
I covered 485 miles and rode through the Brecon Beacons, to Carmarthen and Tenby, round the Pembrokeshire coast, up the coast through Aberystwyth then into Snowdonia for a couple of days.

The longest day was Thursday, from Borth on the coast to Capel Curig via Dolgellau, Porthmadog, calling at Portmeirion, then past the foot of Snowdon and past Llanberis Pass.

I stayed in hostels or B&B but was surprised to only see a couple of others touring. There are some tough hills but it was worth it.

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Da iawn - well done, boyo!
  • random man
    Thanks Splottboy. The weather was brilliant all week, though. I may not be so keen on tackling those hills in the wind and rain!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    You get no choice for 9 months of the year!

Remember two rides where my water bottles have frozen...
  • That sounds a great ride. I like Wales and I've got a week coming up and was thinking of doing something similar, although I would camp. On the other hand, what were the hostels like?
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    sounds like alot of fun that, only wish I could have some more time off to have a crack myself
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • random man
    That sounds a great ride. I like Wales and I've got a week coming up and was thinking of doing something similar, although I would camp. On the other hand, what were the hostels like?

I used YHA hostels at Brecon, Broad Haven, Poppit Bay, Borth and Capel Curig. If you don't mind sharing a room they're fine. Poppit Sands was the only one that was self catering only, the breakfasts at the others were great, and you've generally got some company.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I did a nine day world tour of Norther Scotland last August with my son and D-in-L and it was the most relaxing holiday I have eaver had. It was my first tour and we stayed on B&Bs and small hotels/YHA each night. Hope to do another some time this year but am starting to run our of time, weather wise now with what is already planned.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks