Hanging a bike by the wheel - deep section carbon

rjeffroy
rjeffroy Posts: 638
edited June 2010 in Workshop
I race after work so this means leaving my race bike in the bike park at the office. Recently moved to a new office where bikes have to be hung up on hooks by the wheel - is this safe for a deep section carbon wheel (zipp 404 tub)?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hang a bike by exactly such a wheel in that very prescribed manner. No probs at all.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Take an old cloth or something to stop the hook scratching your nice wheel.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    P ipe lagging foam tube zip tied to your favourite hook custom and classy.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    So you're worried about your wheels with a static point load of 8kg max when the same wheels will happily cope with probably 10x mass @ a speed 60kph?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Monty Dog wrote:
    So you're worried about your wheels with a static point load of 8kg max when the same wheels will happily cope with probably 10x mass @ a speed 60kph?
    I'm no fan of fragile racey bike kit, but that's just a bit unfair. By similar reasoning, I can lean against a car and dent it with my svelte frame (ahem), despite the car being capable of transporting a ton and a half at over 100 mph.

Wheel rims function in a singular environment, resisting hoop compression, bending, and spoke tension. Given how tolerant bike enthusiasts are of skimpy, lightweight components with appalling general durability, I can quite imagine a popular rim design which works adequately but mustn't be hung from a hook.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Hanging it neatly and carefully from the hook sounds fine...

...it's just what the hamfisted, careless, clumsy bu$$er who parks his bike next to yours does as he parks or removes his - whether he knocks yours off the hook, or swings on it, or gawdknows what...
    :evil:
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    I'd say it makes a difference whether your rims are structural (ie Zipp) or fairings (ie Cosmic Carbone). I've asked myself if I'd trust my bike on Eurostar (where they are hung from the rims) given that my Mavic carbon fairings are easily deformed by finger pressure. As the post above said, you can't predict what some hamfist bike-stacker will do to your pride & joy while it's out of your sight; but you're probably wise to assume that the worst could easily happen...

As for the slightly sarcastic post about road forces, doesn't seem to make any sense to me? At no point during a ride is there any direct pressure applied to the inner edge of the carbon rim; all the forces are transferred from road>tyre>rim>carbon section>spokes>hubs etc, surely? Drive a car along even the most potholed road and it'll be ok, but hit a lamp-post head on and I predict crumplage...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell