My little Giant with a few upgrades. (UPDATED)

ol\'gregg
ol\'gregg Posts: 612
edited July 2011 in Your mountain bikes
DSCF9961.jpg
DSCF9960.jpg
DSCF9959.jpg
DSCF9958.jpg

It's an 08 Giant Rainier. All standard spec just changed the grips and pedals. Next to be changed are the forks other than that i'm happy with it for what I use it for.
It does the job :D
gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    That's a rather nice colour scheme. Frame looks remarkably similar to the XTC. What's the spec?
  • ol\'gregg
    The spec is:
    MODEL RAINIER DISC
    SIZES 14", 17", 19", 21", 23"
    FRAME ALUXX aluminium, Fluid Formed
    FORK Suntour XCM 100mm travel, lock out
    SHOCK N/A
    HANDLEBAR GIANT A3 aluminium riser
    STEM GIANT A3 aluminium ahead
    SEAT POST GIANT A3 aluminium
    SADDLE GIANT
    PEDALS Steel with resin body
    SHIFTERS Shimano Alivio 24 speed RapidFire Plus
    FRONT MECH Shimano C050
    REAR MECH Shimano Alivio
    BRAKES GIANT MPH Root hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
    BRAKE LEVER GIANT MPH Root
    CASSETTE Shimano HG40 11-32
    CHAIN KMC Z7
    CRANKS TruVativ ISOFlow 3.0 22/32/42
    BOTTOM BRACKET Cartridge
    RIMS Alex CR18 26"
    HUBS Formula disc
    SPOKES Black stainless steel
    TYRES Kenda 26x1.95''

I just put some DMR lock on grips and DMR V8's on. Will hopefully be sorting out new forks for it soon, just waiting on the result of a payrise in work ( it's fun being government funded )
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Yeah, I'd start with the forks as an upgrade. Although Merlin are currently doing Deore front and rear mechs + shifters for £60 if you're considering going for 9spd.
  • ol\'gregg
    Think i'm gonna stick with what I have for now. Want to upgrade the forks first.
    I'm working with a very tight budget but hopefully will get a few upgrades done or save for a new bike and use this as my daily.
  • ol\'gregg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg

A few upgrades done.

RS tora 302's to replace the suntour xcm's which i had for my birthday ( cheers welshkev )
    Clarks lock on grips.

That's all the upgrades that are gonna be done for now just going to replace bits as they fall apart. :D
  • All in all a very capable looking trail weapon, nice one.

One small piece of advice, the stem looks quite long and high, perhaps a shorter lower one to sharpen up the steering. Only if your into that sort of thing, carbon cycles do a nice range of light cheap stems.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=48&p=609&
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    ive got one of those (its in bits at the moment to be fair), its not too bad. those are very worthy upgrades.
  • ol\'gregg
    cheers both :D I don't find a problem with the stem length for what i use the bike for but the more I ride it might be something I end up changing. But for now it's staying as it is.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    no worries on the forks bro, they were a bargain :D
  • ol\'gregg
    IMG_0548.jpg
  • m1t35h
    m1t35h Posts: 5
    ol\'gregg, bike's looking great. I have a 2009 Rainier, virtually identical to yours. I would recommend a lighter handlebar and seatpost, the Giant A3 stuff on the the bike is very heavy. I've changed both to Shimano Pro Koryak and shaved about 300g off the weight, not bad for £50. I'll have a go at the stem next, I guess it's as overweight as the other parts! Also planning on cutting the seatpost, loads of excess, at least another 40g there.

El Capitano, it's identical to XTC in dimensions but I think XTC uses a lighter/stronger grade of alluminium alloy. Also I think some of the tubing on XTC is squarer, especially seat/chainstay tubes.
  • ol\'gregg
    photo3.jpg

and as she stands today

New upgrades:
    Giant connect handlebars with Giant lock on grips
    Raceface Deus stem ( bought from The Northern Monkey )
    Schwalbe Albert tyres
  • ol\'gregg
    m1t35h wrote:
    ol\'gregg, bike's looking great. I have a 2009 Rainier, virtually identical to yours. I would recommend a lighter handlebar and seatpost, the Giant A3 stuff on the the bike is very heavy. I've changed both to Shimano Pro Koryak and shaved about 300g off the weight, not bad for £50. I'll have a go at the stem next, I guess it's as overweight as the other parts! Also planning on cutting the seatpost, loads of excess, at least another 40g there.

El Capitano, it's identical to XTC in dimensions but I think XTC uses a lighter/stronger grade of alluminium alloy. Also I think some of the tubing on XTC is squarer, especially seat/chainstay tubes.

I've changed the handlebars and am looking into a new seat post. want to get a new chainset etc on it too