What is too much beer?

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Apparently 8 pints of premium cider is too
much for me to cycle home. What is your limit for cycling home off road?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    It's been about 4 years since I had a drink, so I'd probably be wobbly after half a shandy.
  • I can't get home on an off road route, but I recently did get home really quickly on three pints. I figured if I rode quickly the last beer wouldn't have had a chance to get into the bloodstream....
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i dont drink and drive so why would i drink and ride?

imo its just as bad
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,637
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i dont drink and drive so why would i drink and ride?

imo its just as bad

Well while drunk cyclists are a danger to others they aren't quite as dangerous as drunk drivers... Agree in general though, and no, I don't drink and cycle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Goodness. You're just asking for the thought police to leap on you and beat you to death with their lentil stems with this one.

I used to ride home as a teenager after a few bevies, about 3 miles along the canal towpath back to me Mum'n'Dad's. Lightweight that I was (and, admittedly, am) I'd probably only have dismissed 4 or 5 pints over the evening.

These days there's no off road route home from the pub, and all my bikes have quite agressive forward-leaning setups, so it would probably be extremely uncomfortable. Plus I am a responsible adult now (more's the pity).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    A pint a day is enough, according to health organisations. I tend to agree.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Too much beer is when you wake up with a hangover thinking you'll need to go and collect your bike from where you left it as you were too drunk to ride.

Then notice it at the end of your bed.
  • desweller
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Too much beer is when you wake up with a hangover thinking you'll need to go and collect your bike from where you left it as you were too drunk to ride.

Then notice it at the end of your bed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Last nights cycle home from the Morpeth is though Central London included Hyde Park Corner and a VERY jammed Park Lane.

Very glad I wasn't drinking, or i would have taken out quite a few wingmirrors.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I once drank too much at the works Xmas party and rode home. However, I fell off the bike and it wasn't nice. That was probably 1981, I really can't think when or if I have drank and rode again.

As for drunk cyclists not being as dangerous, well, just a bad wobble on a busy road could cause others to seriously crash when they try and avoid.

I've got nothing against a good few beers, but I can't see why others should suffer from selfish drunkenness. Due to a few incidents many years ago, I now drink very little. I know 3 friends who've been killed whilst drunk - that soon sobers you up a bit.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Of all the things I forget when drunk, I'd hope my passwords to internet forums was one. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

I managed to get home without falling in the canal, although I don't really remember much about it. I was celebrating having encouraged a friend to spend lots of money on a new bike.

Sobered up pretty quick when I got home and was informed the missus was off out on a hen night. I really should have remembered my sister is getting married. 2 Children to feed, water, bath and bed has about the same shock to the system as a gram of speed.

What a delightfully responsible parent.
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    too much beer is when you set off from the pub, get 4 feet from the door, bump down the curb, get your front wheel stuck in a grate, go over the handle bars and end up breaking your collar bone. a week later finding out you need an operation to pin the 3 bits of bone back together. I'd say that's too much. not me btw. someone I know. tube would've been far less painful.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Not really tried it, I've had 3 pints on a lunch time and then rode home after work. But I'd had a couple of hours to sleep it off so I was fine.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I once rode home after 7-8 pints - not doing that again. Max of 3 these days.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    edited June 2010
    ]i dont drink and drive so why would i drink and ride?

imo its just as bad

Well while drunk cyclists are a danger to others they aren't quite as dangerous as drunk drivers./quote]

They're less likely to cause direct injury, but since most of the other vehicles on the road are cars, the result of a road accident caused by a drunk cyclist has just as tragic a potential as any other.

And while it's much more rare for cyclists to kill pedestrians, they can still injure them badly if they hit them at any speed. A friend of mine has a permanently damaged back from when he was hit by a cyclist (entirely the cyclist's fault).

@DesWeller; your attitude used to be the standard one among car drivers. At least most people have learned better about that.
  • desweller
    Well, maybe I'd be more worried if I lived in the city, especially a town like London where pedestrians are round every corner, but I'm fortunate enough not to.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    When you fall over
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Soz for being a grump,but remember "Plod" can have your car licence for "drunk" cycling :evil:
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Soz for being a grump,but remember "Plod" can have your car licence for "drunk" cycling

Errr no they can't...you can be convicted of cycling on a road or public place (which includes bridleways) whilst under the influence of drink or drugs under section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and fined up to £2500 but your driving license is unendorsable.

According to my police officer housemate!
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Apparently - according to google - it's also illegal to 'cycle furiously'!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2010
    Apparently - according to google - it's also illegal to 'cycle furiously'!

Is it OK to cross country aggressively?

Whilst looking for new wheels I noticed some were suitable for "Aggressive XC"!!!

I was going to buy them but I'm thinking twice now. Wouldn't want to get arrested for being in possession of potentially dangerous bike components. :wink:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I don't drink and ride - nowt self righteous but I've history of forgetting stuff when I've had a drink (coats in pubs mainly) It'd cost me a fortune in taxis and bikes I've forgotten about.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    bearfraser wrote:
    Soz for being a grump,but remember "Plod" can have your car licence for "drunk" cycling :evil:

no they can't :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    When cycling back to school across the fens in Cambridge, I fell in a ditch, couldn't get myself out, and was fished out by 2 policemen.

Bloomin' hilarious. The best bit was when they asked me where I was headed, to which I responded 'my school's just there' pointing at said school.

Them, suspiciously: 'how old are you'
    Me (slurred): '18'
    Them: 'got any ID'
    Me: 'nope'
    Them: 'Do you have a drivers licence'
    Me: 'If I did would I be on a bike?' *wobbles off towards said school, giggling to herself.

They obviously decided against giving chase, which was nice.

That was too much beer.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Many years ago at the tender age of 16 I went to the pub after work, drank far too much and tried to ride home from the station. Ruined a good suit, falling off about 3 times... :oops:

Occasionally I'll have a couple of pints when riding off road, only really cycle on road now to work and back, no drinking involved.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets