Ghetto

clint29
clint29 Posts: 224
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Tried it today with a Maxxis Ardent wireless bead, after several attempts with a compressor i gave up! I really struggled getting the bead to seal on the rim, the tyre seems too baggy to seal any tips would be greatfully appreciated?

Comments

• PaulBarman
    PaulBarman Posts: 35
    did u try it with the valve core removed? might help seat the bead at first
  • clint29
    No i left the valve in! Thanks for the tip i will try again tomorrow
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    co2 would prob work, i ended up using a helium cannister i had with some hose to get it to seat properly, then deflated and added sealant. it inflated with a track pump after that
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • clint29
    Nice one makes sense now. Cheers.
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    Sometimes even with a tyre gauge and 10cfm compressor I haven't been able to air them up with the valve removed.
    It's much easier with a duster (air dusting gun e.g. mechanics use them to dry parts); just place the nozzle in the valve hole and presto....instant fill.
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    I was having real bother getting mine to seat. I bought a co2 inflator and managed it in one step but made sure to slosh the sealant up to the bead before trying to inflate.
  • clint29
    ireland57 wrote:
    Sometimes even with a tyre gauge and 10cfm compressor I haven't been able to air them up with the valve removed.
    It's much easier with a duster (air dusting gun e.g. mechanics use them to dry parts); just place the nozzle in the valve hole and presto....instant fill.
    Nice one i'm going to take mine to work tonight and give it a blast.
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    Weirdly I found it difficult to seal my ghetto conversion (with a track pump) until I rotated the wheel so the valve core was at the bottom (6 o'clock position). The rest of the time it just leaked. As soon as I rotated it the wheel sealed straight off! I cannot think of a single reason why this would affect it (perhaps the rotation of the wheel is actually what makes the difference - moving the tyre may ensure it is centralised and load spread evenly around the rim? I only turned it a very small amount though, so seems unlikely.) so it's probably coincidence but you never know...

I think I heard somewhere that CO2 isn't great for the tubeless solution but not sure - you may want to check it out prior to using a CO2 inflation...

Oh, and make sure you've shaken your sealant so you get all the latex bits suspended in it when you put it in your tyres...

Just my 2 pence...