Pannier or Rack Bag

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Just took the plunge and got a Rack for my Commuter as I am picking up the CAAD9 tomorrow. I really do need the rack as the rucksack is P'ing me off now, just get too bleeding hot, plus everything moves in it while riding :evil:

Just ordered the Topeak Rack its a frame mounted one not the seatpost version, purely because I like that I can carry more weight if needed.

I am thinking of either getting a topeak Rack bag (with extendable panniers eg: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topea ... 360043342/ ), or a pair of Pannier bags. the Rack has the slot for the topeak rack bags which I think is good. Just a bit unsure on what Size I will need.

It will need to be able to hold 5 x Shirts, 2 x Trousers, Boots, Lock, etc, The idea of the extendable one is that I can bring everything in on Monday then just fold them up and carry all the other bits like Lunch, Phone, wallet, etc
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I think (i use a 12l rack bag style seatpost bag) that rack bags are better in cross winds, i tried a pannier for a while didn't like it as much and it seemed to slow me down a bit.
    Also with panniers because you can load it up with loads of crap you do, with a smaller pack you don't carry extra weight you don't need.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Until you have a roadside emergency repair you do not have the tool for :shock:

Its up to you really i run with 2 panniers for commuting but i carry tools,spare tubes,pump,clothes,sandwiches, waterproofs etc.

With rack packs the contents get a lot more road vibration as i have found when i used to bungee a back pack with handles cut off to top of the rack, many a day i had mushy bananas.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    So a vote either side so far... going to have to take a trip to a shop so I can see what size the topeak rack bags are in the flesh.

Thanks for the help guys. why cant these things ever be easy :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I would just go for the panniers if I were you - I can't see you finding a rack bag that will hold enough stuff for the monday run without you having to crease up all your clothes for the week.

You can get a rubber bungee net for the rack, for about £5, and then not take the panners unless you've something big to carry and just pop your lunch on the top of the rack.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    i have the topeak rack on my hybrib.

use the topeak trunk bag for all my bike stuff and mount all my rear lights on it (redeye, handgranade, mars)

I also have a pair of ortleibs in red padded out with newspaper to make me seem as wide as possibel just to be cussid really
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    the topeak rack bag is handy because it has some faux pannier bags on the side. trouble is when they are extended , you cant take the trunk bag off and carry it very elgantly. so i have trunk bag (panniers folded up ) and a nice chunky pair of ortliebs also.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Until you have a roadside emergency repair you do not have the tool for :shock:

Its up to you really i run with 2 panniers for commuting but i carry tools,spare tubes,pump,clothes,sandwiches, waterproofs etc.

I use this

15126_off_road_bag_10.jpg

I carry a lunch box, tools, spare tubes, waterproofs, wallet, shirt, undies, socks, phone, patches, tyre levers, and a cap, and that's without expanding the extra 2 litres. I can also fit 3 packs of fig rolls in one jersey pocket.

I do have panniers and I can see the appeal if you can't leave things like shoes and trousers at work. But even if you take a weeks worth of stuff panniers on monday you've still got the rack on your bike for the rest of the week which would weigh half a kilo or so.

I do have to pack carefully though and have a long commute, if I wasn't going so far I wouldn't mind have panniers just to lob stuff in and get going.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017