entrance to holmbury hill / leith hill

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited June 2010 in Routes
Hi there, last time i went to holmbury hill, i managed to enter going up BKB (little to my knowlege). In future i would think it's best for me and everyone else if i didnt enter via a trail, so what i am asking is, how do i get in?

thanks,
fred.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You can't really get 'in' it's an open forest! If you rode up the bottom of BKB now you'd realise you'd gone wrong pretty quickly, it's got some reasonably big berms at the bottom.

There's a trail leading up the hill from the bottom of BKB, if you come in off the road, Barry's is coming down from the right, do the trail at 45 degrees to the left. Alterrnatively ride up Radnor Road.

I'm gonna head up there tomorrow morning, I'll point you in the right direction if I see you riding up!
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    yeah, i saw the berms and got off very quickly but i had no idea about the other trails around it, infact that whole place is full of trails, which one is considered to be the up? I found an entrance at peaslake beauty salon i may try. When i came out from there i could see it hadn't been used much as it's pretty over grown with holly. Cheers for the help, i will try and find radnor road on google earth now. You wont be seeing me tomorrow though, i did my finger in last time and im not up for another 30 odd miles of riding just yet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BKB, just go up Radnor Road (easy to find, it's the big hill road out of Peaslake near the village shop) until you get to the covered reservoir entrance on the left (lots of logs around usually too) and on the right is the entrance to BKB. Wait there a few minutes on a weekend and you'll see people head that way. It's very popular.

BKB is only scratching the surface of Surrey Hills though.

Continue up Radnor Road until you reach the top car park, go up the car park and all the way to the top of Holmbury Hill (great view point). From there you go backwards a little but to the right of where you came from the car park, down the wide-ish trail and look for Yoghurt Pots on the right. Again, lots of people will be heading that way.

After Yoghurt Pots you go a little right, the left starting to go downhill but immediately branch to the left and up along Telegraph Road. Easy to identify as it has telegraph poles all the way along.

That's the key well known ones, but there are still way more, and you've got Pitch, Winterfold, Leith, Redlands, and beyond to explore!

Start off in Peaslake and pop into the bike shop asking for a map, and they'll mark out some routes for you.

Or check out the London Calling thread which has a load of us from around London and the South East. We do Surrey Hills quite often.