Some days you should just stay in bed

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Today I decided to go to Carron Valley mountain biking. Left a little later than I wanted so went into Asda to get some lunch. Cue lady luck going on holiday.

Asda were moving things around so didn't have any sarnies or anything. Due to my late start I was in a rush so ended up just getting a flapjack and bottle of water. Had a few bites with the intention of saving the rest for when riding and went on my merry way.

Was making good progress in not to heavy traffic until I came across some building works. The road I needed to take was closed due to them (big crane on the road) and the diversion was so complex through side streets I ended up following the wrong diversion route (south, the direction I had came from instead of north). Eventually got back on track only to spend half an hour in traffic as everyone was diverted through the centre of Airdrie. All due to some work closing one junction :roll:

Eventually I get to carron valley and head out on the bike. Only to miss the sign post for the MTB trails so I end up cycling along the multi-user path way. Was a good work out despite a fall (again) but not really why I went there and by the time I saw the sign post on the way back, it was too late (and I was too tired) to head for the proper MTB trail.

So a little disappointed I headed home, deciding to go a different way due to the road closure. However there was roadworks on that road as well (upgrading the A80) so I missed the junction I needed to take. No problem I thought, I knew the road, it just meant a longer drive home.

That is until the petrol light came on just as I got to what seemed to be the one part of Scotland without any petrol stations whatsoever. Got myself lost again trying to find one before I pulled out the sat nav to rescue me.

With help from the sat nav I finally found a petrol station and following it got back on the correct road home. Got home an hour and a half after I left carron valley, at least half an hour longer than it should have taken.

Some days I wish I'd just stayed in bed :(

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Some days are like that - feeling better now you've got if off your chest ? 8)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'd sink a bottle of the finest, after a meal and curl up on the sofa and snooze.

Tomorrow will be better.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I don't especially rate Carron Valley, it's decent enough for a bit of a spin - but having done it once I'm not sure I'd go again. Certainly wouldn't go out of my way to.

From where you are, I'd've thought the Tweed Valley (quite apart from the name), or the Dumfries would have been a better bet for mountain biking.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Get a road bike, cycle to Torrence, cycle to Lennoxtown, cycle up Crow Road, cycle down Tak Ma Doon road, cycle home. You will have a better day.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I never thought about Tweed Valley tbh as I thought it was further away than it is (I'm actually about half way between the two).

I'm a beginner as well so thought CV would be easy.