Week 1 Done !

conanius
conanius Posts: 23
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Further to other posts, started my commute this week, abit on Thursday when I returned to work!

I nipped out for a quick ride on Wednesday to check everything was ok with the bike and get a feel for how things felt (13 miles from my place in Bromley South to Lewisham DLR station)

Then, the fun began on Thursday Morning. Up at 6am, out the house by 6:30 and off towards Westminster. I'm cycling up the Bromley 'ring road' towards Bromley North, down Bromley Hill, then through Downham, Past Lewisham Hospital, Lewisham DLR, New Cross, Peckham, Camberwell Green, Oval, Vauxhall, and then up the north side of the river to work. 13 miles door to door, and I managed it in an hour and 2 mins first time out.

Covered the same route home, and then did it again today, over 60 miles in a week !

I went for a Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid from Bromley Cycles (Highly recommended, Charlie in there really helped me out) and decided to get a rack and pannier bags. Best.Thing.Ever. No sweaty back and I feel really chilled and relaxed when I get to work.

Aware that my choice of route needs some work, and I'd gladly take guidance/advice off anyone who can help please :)

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Well done. Keep it up. None of this wimping out when it rains, or when the cold and dark arrive again. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Going up Bromley Hill at the end of a long day must be a bit of a slog. It's not an enormous hill but I find it's one of those draggy ones that hurt when you're tired.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'm out around the same time around Lewisham / Catford on the A21, but head straight up through Deptford.

I might review my route though. Today I noticed that I passed someone around Lewisham and was going a fair bit faster. I didn't have to stop that much for lights, yet they magicially appeared in front of me on London Bridge. Perhaps it was their twin or something. It certainly left me rather miffed! :evil:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Congrats! I did my first week too. Not quite as far as I'm in Greenwich, so just 6 miles door to door, but it's still 100km more than I did last week.
    I go through Deptford to London Bridge and then to St Pauls.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Congrats! Feels good, doesn't it? +1 for no copping out in the rain :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • conanius
    Here and now in writing... I wont be copping out for rain!
  • Nice one! Welcome to the gang!
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    conanius wrote:

I went for a Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid from Bromley Cycles (Highly recommended, Charlie in there really helped me out) and decided to get a rack and pannier bags. Best.Thing.Ever. No sweaty back and I feel really chilled and relaxed when I get to work.

Same bike and set up as me ( though I don't use it as often as I should ), it's a great bike, fast with quick acceleration, I've loved using it this week, the ideal commute bike in my opinion.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • conanius
    Definately agree. I feel that once i've got some stamina and strength built up I should be able to really bring down the times. I'm aiming to get down to about 45 minutes door to door eventually which based on my current fitness level should hopefully be achievable

First goal will be to get it down to consistently under 1 hour. Hoping to achieve that in 6-8 weeks
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Congratulations, and welcome to the... collective. Keep it up!
    conanius wrote:
    First goal will be to get it down to consistently under 1 hour. Hoping to achieve that in 6-8 weeks

If your first go made it 1h02 and you didn't arrive at work a sweaty breathless mess then I dare say you'll find it easy to break 1h every day in less than 8 weeks. Don't forget 'rest' i.e. take-it-easy days once in a while though.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • I go from Lewisham to Westminster. I take the Deptford route to London Bridge rather than go through New Cross. It is flatter but a bit further.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I've managed to get to my 4th week now. The 2 days last week that I took my car (because I'd organised to go out for a ride in the evening) I arrived at work feeling sluggish and fed up. I was really surprised how fast I came to enjoy the ride in.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    @ OP

Have you got a pair of bar ends yet ?

They take the bike into another dimension.

I spend most of my time on the bar ends, far more comfortable and allows you to get into tucked positions.

I bought a pair of Specialized bar ends similar to these ..

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22270
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png