iPhone app that shows you how to repair your bike

2»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Boy Lard wrote:
    GGGrrrrr.

Just because I'm feeling that way out, I've decided to have a rant about the iPhone, WHICH I HATE.

It's a bloody toy for chavs that don't have the nounce to do a little bit of market research and find the mutlitude of better products on the market. Apple are just like Big Brother, they have very clever marketing techniques, they managed to get nearly every one to say IPod, when they actually meant mp3 player. AAAAhhhhh.......

...and I think they kill puppys during their research and developement. (That might not actually be true).

They certainly kill puppies, it's all to do with number that people would be prepared to slaughter to have an iPhone.

The original (the 2G) denoted 2 greyhounds. Greyhounds are often used for research as there are so many unwanted after their racing days. Beagles are quite common too but Apple chose greyhounds for their sleek coats.
    3G of course was 3 Greyhounds
    3GS = German Shepherds
    and the iPhone 4 is a masterpiece, people will destroy any 4 puppies, regardless of breed, for one.

But it's a really shiny phone so it's okay.

Oh, and the UI is good, certainly better than any Android, WiMo or Symbian handset I've used. I've no idea what 'nounce' is but expect I had enough to do the research.

Ah lunchtime, I can stop babbling
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Precisely, i've given up on winmo and my housemates (all of whom are on android and aren't exactly luddites) stated categorically that android is useless. Doesn't work as necessary and generally is rubbish.

Hence I have an iPhone4 after 6 years on winmo, and it just works. Plus there are plenty of niche apps that are rather useful for various activities.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    This reminds me of when I was doing an audax on Dartmoor and my gear cable broke

A guy on fixed ambled up and asked if he could help. I said I doubt it, to which he replied, "I am a bike mechanic"

"OK then, come and give me a hand with this campag gear cable". The rear mech cable had snapped, I had a spare but couldn't remember how to fit it

After a couple of minutes the mechanic gave up "Normally", he pronounced, "I would look it up on the Internet"

No offense to my friendly mechanic but surely...you should just know if you are a mechanic?

Also, I should have been able to figure out the cable change. I had done it before but with several miles in your legs some things just go.

So big fail to me and mr mechanic

I converted the bike to be stuck on one sprocket at the back and completed the audax with two gears. Fortunately I was getting a lift home.

Does the iphone app cover campag gears? I doubt it
  • andreaslc
    andreaslc Posts: 20
    vorsprung wrote:

Sorry buddy campag gears not covered :(
    Find me on: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/
    I'm also the founder of the Bike Doctor iPhone/Android app
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    andreaslc wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Sorry buddy campag gears not covered :(

It's ok I don't have an iphone :)

If I did have an iphone however...why won't I just dial up www.parktool.com and get the dirt from there?
  • andreaslc
    andreaslc Posts: 20
    vorsprung wrote:
    If I did have an iphone however...why won't I just dial up www.parktool.com and get the dirt from there?

A good point - it's why were gonna build a lot of extra functionality into V2. For now I guess I would choose the app over the parktool site because the app renders a lot more nicely on the screen making the repair far easier to follow. It is also more simple to understand.

Any thoughts on what you'd like to see on V2?
    Find me on: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/
    I'm also the founder of the Bike Doctor iPhone/Android app