Panniers vs Rucksack for my Commute

dubnut71
dubnut71 Posts: 123
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so the commuting is going well (34 miler on a specialized tri-cross sport) but the only sticking point is my choice of luggage.

I am currently using a berghaus rucksack and find that by the time I have my shoes, trousers etc all stowed in it gets a bit wearing on the old shoulders.
I have so far resisted rack and panniers as its "uncool" but jeez arthritis in my shoulders is gonna be pretty uncool too!

My only worry is the weight it will add to the bike, mind you its no racer and nor am I its all about convenience with my commute hence the tricross and its ability to take mudguards and be a bit less sporty.

Anyone else made the switch? any rack / panniers recommendations? I am looking at Altura Arrans or the waterproof vers?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
Merlin Malt 1
Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm a bit young to have panniers but they are brilliant :lol: . Use mine on an Allez racer, work perfectly. Worth splashing out on good waterproof bags for winter, currently using Ortliebs.

They also have the added surprise bonus when you leave everyone behind :twisted:

My rig:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12702169
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If you used panniers you can take a weeks worth in on a Monday and bring the washing home either on a Friday or bits daily in a smaller bag. Cant you just leave your work shoes at work? With judicious packing you'd get a days worth easily in a Carradice SQR Tour, no rack required.
    P4957_250.jpg

Or an SQR Slim

P4955_250.jpg

Or the Klickfix Freepack Metas will fit on your seatpost as well,

p2122_250.jpg[/url]
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    It sounds like you don't have anywhere at work to leave spare shoes + clothes.
    Is this an option?

... someone beat me to it.
  • dubnut71
    Cheers guys - I do have some space at work to leave stuff but I sometimes have to change my plans late at night and don't want to be forced itno wearing whats at work if I can go casual or formal?

The seatbag option looks great, I am actually preferring that to panniers at the mo but part of me actually wants to go all traditional and get a nice pair of panniers!! :)
    Merlin Malt 1
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    edited June 2010
    Panniers are the answer.

I finally succumbed after 2 years of persisting with "oh, but a rucksack's fine!". A sweaty back, numb hands, and a weird rash (probably just sweat) on my shoulders where the straps sat.

Do it. Do it now. I can carry more, in more comfort, and I generally leave the rack on there, though it doesn't look great.

DO EEEET!

Edit: Oh, I've got a Tortec rack (not sure which one, but not an Ultralight or the Expedition) and a pair of Altura Orkneys 34L. Awesome.

Editity Edit: I tried an Altura Arran Seatpost pack. first. That sucked.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Panniers all the way.

In addition to all the above detractors - any weight in a rucksack goes directly through your arse.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Panniers ,panniers and more panniers.

I've got rear racks on all (cept my enduro) my bikes, worth their weight in gold.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If it makes you feel any better - I'm all of 26 and love my panniers.

Managed to pick up some Ortleibs 2nd hand from this very forum for about a third the normall rrp - given they're almost bomb-proof, and any scuffs are purely cosmetic - I'm very very happy with them.

Good for shopping on the way home too!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have panniers on my tourer, only way to go. Seems crazy to have a bike and carry the weight yourself :-)

I'd advise a fairly brightly coloured set to help folk see you in traffic.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Always been a rucksack for me but I've just bought a rack for my new bike - it was only £15 so I'll try strapping the rucksack to it to see how it goes. I'm sure it's going to be a lot better in this weather.
  • Definitely panniers.

When I started cycling commuting a few years ago it was because I thought it would be a good thing to do, eg excercise, save money etc. I wasn't into cycling before. At first i used a backpack and didn't enjoy it particularly. I hated always having a sweaty back and I found it tiring. I had to make myself cycle a couple of times a week.

After a couple of months I fitted a rack and got panniers. It was like a lightbulb moment. I suddenly felt so free while cycling and it just made sense. I've been pretty much addicted since then.

just ordered myself a new set of ortliebs :D
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Panniers.

I used to use a rucksack, but I find the pannier (I only need one) more comfortable.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I had an SQR Slim arrive at work today. Fitted it before coming home and feels good so far. No sticky back, bike doesn't feel too different.
    It's easily big enough to fit in change of clothes, pump, bottle of water etc. Could probably fit far more in actually.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    One more for panniers here. Sadly I've knackered the thread on one of the fixing points on my hybrid, and my 'best' bike doesn't have the mounts so I'm without luggage-carrying ability at the moment (nuts to a backpack, especially in this weather. I've done it before, won't do it again).
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • dubnut71
    Guys - The pannier heads have it! Shopping commences tomorrow, and lets face it I plan to do this all winter too so rack and mudguards turns it into a real bike don't you think!! :)
    Merlin Malt 1
  • dubnut71
    unixnerd wrote:
    I have panniers on my tourer, only way to go. Seems crazy to have a bike and carry the weight yourself :-)

I'd advise a fairly brightly coloured set to help folk see you in traffic.

Oh and unixnerd, I am listening to your advice because it is sound and also because I was born in Grantown on Spey!!! LOL !!
    Merlin Malt 1
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I prefer the seat bag option because

a. it's a bit less of a sail in cross winds

and b. when you take it off you have a normal bike again without having to bother taking a rack off.

I use a vaude off road bag 10+2 and have done for about 18 months with a couple of flirtations with a rucksack and panniers. I've gone back to the vaude now and i'd only swap it for a carradice sqr, and I will when I have to.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Norky wrote:
    One more for panniers here. Sadly I've knackered the thread on one of the fixing points on my hybrid, and my 'best' bike doesn't have the mounts so I'm without luggage-carrying ability at the moment (nuts to a backpack, especially in this weather. I've done it before, won't do it again).

If it's one of the top mounts buy an M:part seat post mount or for the bottom a QR axle adapter.
  • bracketed
    bracketed Posts: 55
    Rucksack is great if you are not carrying much (or not carrying it far). But if you are regularly carrying shoes, or a laptop, etc. any distance, then go for the panniers. That's how you carry a load on a bike, and there's no getting round it. Your back will love you for it.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • 30 cans of lager in panniers,15 pack of cider on top of carrier,try that in a sack
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    I use a rucksack for my commute which is only 7 miles.

However, I leave a towel at work and I am allowed to dress casually (I work in IT for a clothing company) so the contents of my bag are generally trainers, jeans + t shirt and just my daily things.

However, if my commute was in the 15-20 mile region I would consider panniers just for comfort.

Regarding the weight issue then surely weight is weight no matter where it is stored. Put a couple of bricks in a rucksack or in panniers and your still lugging the bricks around!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393

Regarding the weight issue then surely weight is weight no matter where it is stored. Put a couple of bricks in a rucksack or in panniers and your still lugging the bricks around!

What's better, the frame of the bike taking the load (allowing the cyclist freedom of movement) or your spine?

Rucksacks that are overloaded or used regularly will cause back problems over time.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Regarding the weight issue then surely weight is weight no matter where it is stored. Put a couple of bricks in a rucksack or in panniers and your still lugging the bricks around!

I don't know the mechanics or explanation for it, but I would say there's a big difference.

I can carry a lot more in my panniers when riding than I could in a rucksack. I do most of my food shopping by bike. I regularly ride carrying loads I would really struggle to carry on my back off the bike and certainly wouldn't be able to cycle with it on. The bike is noticeably heavier and its manoueverability is affected but it isn't a big additional effort to ride.

I think there's 2 reasons why this is. Firstly, as has been said the bike is taking the load. For you as a rider it is like riding a heavier bike. If you are carrying it then you have to carry that additional weight for the whole journey. This means you're having to put effort into supporting the weight when you're stopped at lights, going down hill or have already built up momentum on the flat. In those situations you barely notice the load if its in panniers.

The second thing is where the weight is located. On a bike its relatively low. It will affect the centre of mass of the bike but it will still be relatively low. The extent to which it affects the manoeverabilty will depend on the bike. If the weight is on your back its at the highest point so the centre of mass will be raised making you and bike combined more unstable.

(bit of a waffle there)