leaving bike locks out in town overnight

kieranb
kieranb Posts: 1,674
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Just wondering what people's experiences are of leaving their heavy locks locked to bike stands in public overnight in cities is like? I am wondering about leaving my lock at my usual bike stand instead of carrying it home with me every night, just to bring it in again in the morning. Do the locks get vandalised?

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I've heard of them having super-glue put inside the locking mechanism to render them useless - you can't get the key in.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I've been leaving mine every night for 3 years, and weekends, never had a problem. It is a private set of railings and not a bike stand though
    <a>road</a>
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    kieranb wrote:
    Just wondering what people's experiences are of leaving their heavy locks locked to bike stands in public overnight in cities is like? I am wondering about leaving my lock at my usual bike stand instead of carrying it home with me every night, just to bring it in again in the morning. Do the locks get vandalised?

I leave mine in London.

The only issue I have add is that the lock needed a bit of TLC last winter.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I used to leave my locks attached to the railings at Oxford Circus, before they got rid of them in favour of no additional bike racks (cheers, Boris). Never had a problem with the locks, especially as I tried to keep the locks hanging from the top, keyholes pointed down so minimized the water into the mechanism. A drop of 3-in-1 every week or so should keep them nice and smooth.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    kieranb wrote:
    Just wondering what people's experiences are of leaving their heavy locks locked to bike stands in public overnight in cities is like?
    I did this when I worked every day at the same place. Never had a problem. Just make sure you buy a good-quality lock and lube it regularly.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I wouldn't do it, Manchester has loads of locks that seem to have been abandoned, rusting away and full of c rap, they look a mess.

There's also the tripping hazard which the council have a duty to control, many locks have been left on the pavement pointing away from the stand, I'm not sure if Manchester routinely remove locks, but I would be surprised if they didn't.

It's understandable why some bikers do it, but there are issues.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I always carry a lock with me even though I have a beefier one waiting for me at my destination. You never know when you might have a mechanical failure and have to temporarily lock and abandon the bike.
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    One downside is it gives thieves opportunity to suss out the locks and their weak points when there is nobody about.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    You could get dogs fouling on them if they're at a certain height..
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Just carry them with you, will give you some extra training with that extra weight.
  • kieranb
    I was asking as the only locking place for my work are public bike stands in central London. I usually commute in on an old SS MTB and carry my lock in a pannier with me back and forth, but if I am racing in the evening I come in on my good racing bike and still have to lock it in public. Currently for the racing bike, I will then carry an even heavier lock back and forth but it isn't good for the old back, so was thinking of bringing it in the day before with the MTB, leaving the lock there overnight for the racing bike the next day and then leaving it there to take home on the MTB a day later again. So the lock would be there 2 nights only once in a while.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    kieranb wrote:
    I was asking as the only locking place for my work are public bike stands in central London. I usually commute in on an old SS MTB and carry my lock in a pannier with me back and forth, but if I am racing in the evening I come in on my good racing bike and still have to lock it in public. Currently for the racing bike, I will then carry an even heavier lock back and forth but it isn't good for the old back, so was thinking of bringing it in the day before with the MTB, leaving the lock there overnight for the racing bike the next day and then leaving it there to take home on the MTB a day later again. So the lock would be there 2 nights only once in a while.

Whereabouts? My lock is permanently locked in the rack above Bank tube station
  • kieranb
    down on Victoria street near the Sainsbury's store. Stupidly I didn't do it today and I may race tomorrow.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    kieranb wrote:
    I am racing in the evening I come in on my good racing bike and still have to lock it in public. Currently for the racing bike, I will then carry an even heavier lock back and forth .

Bloody hell... I couldn't contemplate leaving my racing bike out of sight regardless of the locks. Some scrote could just take exception to a nice bike and smash it for the hell of it :shock:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    kieranb wrote:
    down on Victoria street near the Sainsbury's store. Stupidly I didn't do it today and I may race tomorrow.

Cool... I'm just looking for a nice seatpost, new handlebars - might even find me some wheels. I'll pop there tomorrow.

Are you mad :shock:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    cjw wrote:
    kieranb wrote:

Cool... I'm just looking for a nice seatpost, new handlebars - might even find me some wheels. I'll pop there tomorrow.

Are you mad :shock:
    :lol:

kieranb, it's not the lock that's the problem, it's leaving the nice bike in full view of passing scum bike thieves. I wouldn't.