tyre missing by a mile

gcgizbourn
gcgizbourn Posts: 11
edited June 2010 in The workshop
1990's campag shamal front rim, Continental competition tubular with valve extender. I fitted a continental sprinter to my rear 1990s campag shamal with not much effort. So feeling pretty confident I bought an 18"*19mm continental competition tyre for the front. got it home wanted to just run through the fitting process without glue and found that the tyre just doesn't like it. Not by 2" not by 6" but I only really get down to the 10 and 2 oclock position around the rim, tried holding one side and edging on with lever, am going to try heating the tyre up, but surely that is only going to give it an extra inch or so, I need about 12". don't want to break rim or £60 worth of tyre.

Any idea before I am off down the LBS to pay through my nose to get it fitted?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I find it helps to inflate the tyre off the wheel for a bit, say pump it up the night before you go to work and let it down when you get back the following day. Obviously use discretion with the air, but it just helps to stretch it.

EDIT: You might get more joy in the Road section - not many people commute on tubs
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}