Tow-bar mounted bike carrier that holds bike by wheels?

Mr_M
Mr_M Posts: 98
edited June 2010 in MTB general
OK, bear with me on this one please (and apologies in advance if this turns out to be a total figment of my imagination :oops: )

I am *SURE* that I've seen tow-bar mounted bike carriers which hold bikes by their wheels with no clamps at all on the frame. The fixing method looked to be something like a "U-shaped" bar which came over the top of at least one wheel and clamped the wheel tight stopping lateral movement of the bike.

I've had a look at the usual suspects online, but can't see anything like it. Does it exist? Am I going mad?? Any pointers in the right direction greatly appreciated.....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thule USA do something similar for their roof bars so have a look at their USA site.

Thule USA is a separate company from Thule Europe.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mr_M
    NIck - you're a bl**dy genius - that's exactly what I was ater - thanks mate 8)

pops off to scour ebay.com ....
  • Mr_M
    Rats :evil:

Ok - that's definitely what I'm after - but (admittedly based on only a quick search) it ain't going to be economic to get one over here from the US. And that's aside from practical towbar fit / electrics issues :(

Anyone else got any suggestions? I'm sure I've seen these (or similar) in the UK so there has to be something out there......

(goolge Thule 917XT or 916XT if you want to see what I'm on about!)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
  • Mr_M
    Thanks - but that's not quite it.

This is the kind of thing I'm after:

Thule-916-T2-2-Bike-Carrier.png
  • nipper9
    nipper9 Posts: 120
    hi mate ive made a single 1 to fit my tow bar if u send me ur mobile number i will send u some fotos

cheers paul
    " PERSEVERE B4 U DISAPPEAR "

specialized rockhopper sl comp 2010
    specialized rockhopper comp 2003?
    trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie