best way to route plan

turbo_hamster
turbo_hamster Posts: 122
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
I want to ride from the Midlands to see my folks in North Wales.

Is there a good place (website or set of maps or something) to get help with route planning?

For shorter trips, the Explorer maps would be my first choice.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I would use a road atlas for that.
    My usual method is to figure out the best approach to the destination.
    Look for any pinch points along the route (bridges, motorways crossings , big hills/valleys etc).
    Look for any places to avoid (eg big towns/cities)
    Look for any good sections of route (canal towpaths/minor roads/sustrans routes etc)

Figure out some intermediate waypoints (eg villages) and generally make up the precise route between waypoints as I go along, just like for local rides.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    jc
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Try checking out the National Cycle Network on the Sustran's website. My general advice would be that if you avoid A roads, and B roads if you can, you won't go very far wrong.
  • Thanks very much all of you.

Useful advice, will try everything!
  • Hi I trend to get a map which shows the whole route draw a straight line between start and finish points. Then on a very large scale maps plot the route as close to the line as possible. We just used this method to go from St Malo to Spain and it worked a treat (we had 18 A4 sheets showing the route about 2 a day and only got missplace twice both times by a couple km easy to get back on track) we also had a list of all the villages the route passed through which helped things up at junctions. hope this helps.
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

On the left hand side there is the Departure and Destination fields, under that is an option to select Car, Motorbike, Cycle and Foot
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    avoiding hills is aprt of the planning job for a trip into wales and the only way to do that with a planner that I know is bikely. Unfortunately biikely is really klunky at present, and does not do the route as easily as google, so I do it first on google maps as a walking route, adjust to find nicer roads, then check for unnecessary hills on bikely. Then I usually rip out a bit of old road atlas, highlight and laminate.
    Sustrans is worth a look because sometimes you might find a nice off road bit if you have the tyres for it.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow