Prep for my L2B - now done

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
So I'm off to Brighton on Saturday with a group of wimmin from/aligned to/affiliated with the LFGSS board.

Having had visits from ITB's very good friend on Tuesday and Wednesday, I seriously thought about new tyres then had a chat with one of the guys at On Your Bike and we ran through a few options, including inflating the tyres past the max psi.

Checked the tyres by hand and with my bike light for anything untoward only to discover I'd been running the tyres at 100psi when the minimum is 115 and the max 125 :shock: :oops: Given the potholes I've pushed her through these past 6 months, I'm very thankful I've only had two p***tures in that time. Trackpumped the tyres to 120psi now and will give her a lick and a polish tomorrow night.

I'm still crossing fingers that ITB's friend stays away now that her message has been received and understood :roll: :) .

Yes the mileage will be logged - before anybody says anything. One way, as I doubt I'll have the energy for a return trip, but we'll see as it's a slow ride.

Edit: Update

OK I'm back

It was a very long day but one I enjoyed thoroughly. The P*Fairy insisted on visiting me en route despite my sacrifices and prayers the night before :roll: I took far too much stuff in both my panniers, but I learnt a bit more about bike maintenance and have a whole load of respect for fixed gear/single speed people who have ridden to Brighton. Y'all are nuts if you make it over Ditchling (I walked. Turners Hill was hard enough and I only managed a 1/4 of it on the bike!).

We got to Brighton at 5pm in the end due to other mechanicals/people getting lost etc, but the beer/diet coke/chips and a paddle in the water more than made up for it :D

60 miles in all and I'd do it again with less 'stuff' and walking up Ditchling, unless someone offers me a lift :wink:

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Was a bit confused by the thread title but all became clear.

Have a good L2B, Sonia. Weather looks good for it but a trifle warm
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cafewanda
    It's late. I'm suffering from hayfever and hills training plus Guinness. The written word does not make sense at this hour :)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good luck!

Have a great time, it's a nice ride, as long as you don't take a diversion and get lost on the wrong side of the M23.

Hypothetically speaking.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    :lol::lol:
    What kind of crazy trio would do that? The hypothetical kind, of(f) course

Goddam that mythical beacon road
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    For your effort there will be a drink waiting for you when we do the RP thing.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cafewanda
    :lol:

Fortunately there will be plenty of wimmin with mapreading skills so I am quietly confident we'll be fine. Although going off course a tad probably won't cause too much of a bother :) .
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Cafewanda wrote:

Fortunately there will be plenty of wimmin with mapreading skills so I am quietly confident we'll be fine. Although going off course a tad probably won't cause too much of a bother :) .

That's an oxymoron if ever there was one :wink: Good luck Sonia, beer and chips on the beach at the end????
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    CWanda,

Am still hoping to join you. Am quite excited.
  • Cafewanda
    Rich158 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

That's an oxymoron if ever there was one :wink: Good luck Sonia, beer and chips on the beach at the end????

I know I don't have map-reading skills as I get lost every time :roll: :oops: but you leave the others alone :P :P Definitely beer and chips at the end, otherwise what would be the point? :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Coriander wrote:
    CWanda,

Am still hoping to join you. Am quite excited.

OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I calculated this morning that I'll be in the same situation as you but with less symptoms, although I might be a tad grumpy til the first hill :wink:
  • Cafewanda
    So tired but very happy.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Well done! It was easier to follow the route doing the BHF last weekend - but as we proved on the way back some of us blokes also struggle with maps :D
  • Cafewanda
    Canny Jock, I'm glad to hear that. I did take a map with me but quickly handed it over to one of the other wimmin when we fell back due to a mechanical. That was a good move :wink:

Hoping to go out for a ride later but right now my body feels like it's been run over by a truck, twice so we'll see.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CafeWanda,
    I recommend you go for a short pootle (5 miles or so) to loosen up your legs.

I know its hard to do when you are tired/sore, but it makes the recovery quicker.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Eke, if I try it and don't agree can I beat you up? :lol:

Not that I'd have the strength but it's worth a try :P
  • EKE_38BPM
    I said pootle. You can try to beat me up if you don't agree.

Would you want to stand on a chair or should I stand in a trench?

I think I'm a bit out of order making jokes about your diminuitive stature when I haven't even met you, but, you're tired and weak, so if I don't do it now, I never will!

I had a good moment earlier today when I looked at the clock and realised that this time last week I was climbing Ditchling Beacon.

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    CafeWanda,
    I recommend you go for a short pootle (5 miles or so) to loosen up your legs.

I know its hard to do when you are tired/sore, but it makes the recovery quicker.

Agreed.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Ditchling is a bit of a bugger, but it's OK as long as you keep going- it's the twists and turns and the flat-bits-that-aren't that make it hard. It's a bit of a cakewalk for many riders, but they forget what it's like for the rest of us...
    Turners Hill isn't half as bad. Steep, but the considerably shorter length means it's nothing like as diffiicult.

If you fancy having another crack at them when it's nice and quiet...http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Cafewanda
    Eke, you were right. The pootle that wasn't turned into 12.5 miles and once I'd returned home and stretched, I felt much better, unlike the England team :roll: :)Stand in a trench :P

Stuaff, unless I lose my memory of DB I am unwilling to try it again unless I walk up it or am being driven. Some things are best left to others and cycling up some hills I can, quite cheerfully, leave to yous lot :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    CW, Ditchling is on the list, so I'll be needing a time for the climb (approximate will do,even if you did do it on foot). Well done in that heat by the way.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    It took me about 30 mins to walk up DB, I think.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Glad to be of service.

How deep does the trench need to be? I'm about 6'2"

• Cafewanda
    About 2 foot 11 :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    How do the legs feel today? I assume you rode in.

• Cafewanda
    Thank you, the legs were fine this morning and I would have preferred a country ride than a London one (nicer drivers) but there we go :)