Recommend Tyres for LEJOG

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
This time next month me and two others will be starting out on LEJOG trip, can anyone recommend any tyres ? Now the clincher is the price i guess, well around £10-£15 per tyre if possible or cheaper if anyone knows of any.

Also we currently have 700x23's on our bikes, would there be any benefit in changing to 700x25 or wider ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I guess the first question would be what you will be carrying - clearly, if you are riding loaded up for camping, then something more than 23mm would be required!

Assuming you are not camping - even that small jump up to 25mm can make a huge difference to comfort without making a large sacrifice to weight. That little bit more air volume can make the difference.

In terms of actual tyre choices - I've heard good things about the new budget offering from Conti - the Ultra Sport - available in 23/25 and 28mm - certainly fit in your budget. I have never failed to be impressed with a Continental tyre.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Thanks for the advice, we are camping but we are lucky enough to have a support vehicle so we will be carry the bare minimum with us.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    23s will be fine. I swear by Conti GP4000s - great ride and tough with it. Not that cheap - but work out fantastic value.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Just done it. It (is depending on route) road riding so any decent road tyre with puncture protection will be fine. I got a flat (one in 4 days) with conti GP4000s, no flats with Schwalbe Stelvios (5 days)
  • edward1948
    edward1948 Posts: 61
    Hi just did solo unsupported 'lejog' 06/18 june.

conti 'gatorskins' 23. fine- one slow puncture tiny flint chip ingress. otherwise A1-about £20 each. 922 miles and they were about 300 miles old. plenty left for next winter.

cheers
  • Conti Gatorskins 25's we just cycled from Wales to Spain 3 bikes not one puncture two of us then did the quebrantahuesos the 25's were fine again no punctures
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk
  • t_b
    t_b Posts: 2
    I did the LE to JOG with schawlbe marathon, it is reliable. Was carrying camping equipments, not a single puncture. I did few more tripe since than with the same tires, about 3000 miles so far, haven't had any puncture.
    You could find around it for £20.00 per tire. it is worth it.
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Odd question, what's wrong with the tyres you already have on your bike?

I tour on either Michelin Pro race or Michelin Kyrlions depending on the price when I buy them.
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I tour a lot and have done LEJOG on both schwalbe marathon pluses and panaracer paselas. Neither tyre punctured on the trips and in both cases went on for thousand of miles of additional puncture-free use until they finally wore out completely and were replaced. Hard to go wrong with either for touring. I have also used Conti CP 4 seasons on my road bike, again with no punctures after several thousand miles, and would certainly consider using them on a tour as well.

Yes, you can get away with 700x23, but why? 700x25 is a better choice all around if you want to use narrower tyres.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    It is a long trip, why not use decent tyres.

If completely unloaded 700x23 would be grand although no harm with 700x25 which are certainly more comfortable. If unloaded certainly use good race quality tyres, don't go near the likes of Gatorskins much less Marathons. Marathons are for extreme conditions only. Much better ride quality on race tyres.

I have used Maxxis Columbiere 700x25 and been happy with them; they are race-type tyres in the slightly wider profile. I have used Schwalbe Stelvio in 700x28 loaded over a longer loaded distance (3,200km) and they have also been fine although probably pushing it for loaded. Marathons are great when the road might not be a road. If you have tarmac, use something else.