What are peoples average speeds on a Hybrid?

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I got my average up to 15mph but in this heat its back down to 11mph.

No one overtakes me any more but I think I'm a slowcoach.

I can do 22mph down hill but I have a weight advantage then.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056

There's a very tall bearded and bloody quick hybrid rider who i've bumped into a couple of times now doing Regents Park laps in the morning. Have done a couple of >19mph laps with him.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    A steady 16mph on the straight bits but otherwise average 12mph.
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)
  • Average 15.6mph on the Norwich 100

Have averaged 17mph on 35 to 40 mile weekend rides and have managed to average 18.6mph on the 10.5 mile extended trip to work , reckon if there wasn't a great hill at the end I could probably average closer to 20

I want a road bike to see how fast I can really go.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • I feel better now, thanks. :)
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Average speeds are deceptive

Some think will 15mph is good, some wiil think it's poor

Question is what would Zombie Donkey circa 78 posts ago think. I bet he'd be impressed.

Why are you 4 mph slower in good weather? Are you wearing to many clothing layers. I think in this weather you should be slighty cold leaving the house so as not to overheat.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    what type of hybrid though my one is a big heavy lump as in 50lb so 11/12 mph average.

though faster hybrids win TT's

the term hybrid is fairly meaningless really.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    MTB with semi slicks, weighing in at a smidge over 20lb, averaging 14ish mph on 40mile rides.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Hi

I've only just got back into cycling recently and even then I have only had about twenty rides after about a ten year lay off. I started doing a loop ride of 17.3 miles on my Brompton and the quickest I did that route on that bike was 1h 10mins, which I thought was not too bad at all considering the ride takes on a fair amount of hills. My new bike is a Cube SL Cross Team Hybrid and tonight I did that same route in 59mins 36secs, so 17.3 mph average which I was well pleased with as I have just started back and did it with the racing ralph knobblies that came with the bike. Cant wait to do the same ride again with slicks to see if I cant knock a few more mins off. :D Well liking this bike by the way 8)

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Usually slightly faster than those drop bar things I keep passing :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Getting quicker is what counts - not where you started
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    MTB with semi slicks, weighing in at a smidge over 20lb, averaging 14ish mph on 40mile rides.

20lbs? Crikey - that's lighter than a basic Bianchi C2C road bike! My slicked MTB (admittedly steel framed) in current form weighs over 31lbs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

20lbs? Crikey - that's lighter than a basic Bianchi C2C road bike! My slicked MTB (admittedly steel framed) in current form weighs over 31lbs.

It was built with weight in mind & is fully rigid with more than a smattering of C/F.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564

My average on the way in from Barnet to the city averages 17mph (early morning, less traffic, generally downhill) on the way in and 15 on the way back (lots of traffic, more uphill). I don't really find that the amount of effort I put in affects my average speed too much, it is mainly traffic.

I ride a Flight T1, so I think a hybrid on the light side of being a hybrid, I certainly wouldn't want to take it far off a road :-)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    If I had a hybrid my average would be 23mph.

Thanks.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    If I had a hybrid my average would be 23mph.

Thanks.

If i had a hybrid my average speed would be 0mph.

Thanks.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Matt-Lucas-and-David-Wall-001.jpg

If I had a decent stoker I could get down the shops in under an hour - 2 miles an hour....

If I were on a for a time I'd detach the basket (obviously)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I'll always remember being overtaken by Andy Wilkinson in a time trial.

He was on a MTB (admittedly with tri bars).

He clocked just over 20.5 mph average speed for the whole race, including stops.

Did I mention it was 24 hours!

That's 496 miles. Although to be fair he has gone quicker on a "proper" bike...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'll always remember being overtaken by Andy Wilkinson in a time trial.

He was on a MTB (admittedly with tri bars).

He clocked just over 20.5 mph average speed for the whole race, including stops.

Did I mention it was 24 hours!

That's 496 miles. Although to be fair he has gone quicker on a "proper" bike...

M'eh - he didn't even make the round 500 :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • JohnCleland
    JohnCleland Posts: 172

Could be lack of fluids/nutrition,

seems odd to fall off by 4mph.
  • I have a "Spesh" Sirrus Sport hybrid (road bike focus). I average 17mph going to work and 15.5 to 16mph coming home. The run is 10.6 miles each way (total 21.2 miles total) and there is no flat part, its either up hill or down hill (more up hill going). One my pure roadie I could do the same run at 18mph there and 16 to 16.5mph coming home.

I am slower going home as I have low energy and heat takes it out of me. I try hard going to work and relax coming home.

I know there are arguments about roadie/hybrid but I prefer to take the hybrid and I find it more comfortable but you really feel the wind on the hybrid (obviously).
  • conanius
    conanius Posts: 23
    I've literally just started riding, but on my route I manage about 1hr-1hr5 on the way to work, and about 1hr10-1hr 15 on the way back (3 uphills on the way back, 1 on the way there) And I stop for every red light (unlike some :roll: )

I have a Trek FX 7.3, so in my eyes quite a decent hybrid... downhill on the Bromley Hill on the way into work even without pedalling I have to use the brakes to stop overtaking any traffic that is there, so I'd imagine thats low-mid 20's, but obviously that is downhill...
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    Tricky to answer this, because people use "hybrid" to mean so many things. Often hybrids seem defined by what they are not. Not drop-barred road bikes, not knobby-tyred MTBs, and so on. My commuting ride has no suspension (other than the tyres anyway), wide North Road style bars level with the saddle, hub gears, rack, mudguards etc. Probably weighs around 15kg. On the flat I can't easily maintain more than about 25kph (about 15-16 mph) consistently, and on my hilly commute the round-trip average is 18kph (about 11 mph). Meh... I certainly meet plenty of much faster people on my commute, mostly on road machines.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've seen off most road bikes on the 30lb+ hybrid over the last year (only see a few each week in any case) and average 16.5mph on the hybrid (traffic lights being the main reason for this). On the CX this jumps to 18 - 18.5mph and I've yet to be taken on it.
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    I ride a Trek 7.5 FX. As it's not a racer I expect most would see it as a 'hybrid'.

Commuting I average about 16mph. It's only a 7 mile run each way but I have different routes to and from work. The to work journey being short mild up and down all the way and the return trip includes a steady climb for about 2 miles and then quite a descent for about a mile where I reach about 35mph in good conditions. And that's wearing a rucksack with my clothes and daily supplies in it.

When I go out at the weekend, sans rucksack and ride 30+ miles my average speed improves. On fast flat smooth rolling road with no wind my general speed is about 20mph.

......according to my cateye computer.
    :D
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I got fitter and fitter over the last year of commuting and i now regularly average 19mph on my 24 miles round-trip commute.

A year ago that was 17mph.

On my racer I average 21-22mph over a slightly longer route.

Cateye computer calibrated using Contintental's own tyre measure, which I double checked with a tape measure for accuracy.
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    I started commuting 4 weeks ago and my averge is 9.7 mph over 16 miles. Which is well below most cyclists. I am sure it does'nt help when your 21 stone and very unfit.
  • luther
    luther Posts: 28
    Having just started commuting the 10.5 miles into work and back, my average time was about 1hr 10m. A two week improvement has brought it down to 50 minutes which I'm guesstimating to be about 12.5mph. That does include stopping at every traffic light and pedex though...... and it's on my Giant XTC mountain bike with road tyres.

Picked up my new Specialized Sirrus yesterday so I'm hoping for some improvements come Monday :D
    Car? Scooby....
    Motorbike? Ninja....
    Bike? Sirrus or the XTC
  • Average speeds are deceptive

Some think will 15mph is good, some wiil think it's poor

Question is what would Zombie Donkey circa 78 posts ago think. I bet he'd be impressed.

Why are you 4 mph slower in good weather? Are you wearing to many clothing layers. I think in this weather you should be slighty cold leaving the house so as not to overheat.

Very true. I'm sitting in the highest middle gear on the flat now, when I would have been 5 gears lower when I started in April, and I very rarely get overtaken nowadays. Oh and the bike weighs about 2.5 kilos more than when I started thanks to the Panniers, and other junk.

As for the speed difference, I just take it easy on the way home.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    Youre faster going to work than on the way home surely because youre in a rush?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Much slower than they are on my road bike.