Bottle cage bolts - Colnago C40

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited August 2019 in Workshop
After wanting one for 15 years, I have finaly got my paws on a Colnago. Its a beautiful carbon fibre C40 with a one-off paint job.

The only thing I need for it is 2 bottle cage bolts. I had some spares but they do not fit. They do however fit my Specialized and Bianchi bikes. I have spoken to several dealers and received the same response

"you need 4 mill mate"

I bought several lenght 4mm bolts but I need the next sizr smaller. The 4mm refers to the allen key bolt size, not the size of the bolt thread itself if that makes sense.

Does anyone know a solution, or what the smaller bolts are called or what their size is ?

Comments

• How about emailing Colnago direct, they might even send you some for free, worth a try
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Hey now there's a thought !!

I'll do that !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Well, my Colnago has standard 5mm bottle cage screws and never heard any that were different. Mike Perry at Maestro is the definitive oracle on Colnago in the UK - been selling them for longer than anyone else.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I thought Colnagos used M4 bottle cage screws too... just to be different, like
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Finally got one myself in beautiful condition however there were no bottle cage bolts on it.

I’m a bit concerned that the threads are damaged as the hole seems to go down several mm before the thread starts.

Anyway I need some bolts first, presumably they are M4?
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    just checked my C40, 2.5mm allen key and I think the threads are 3mm, nothing special about the bottle cage bolts, they are just small/narrow. I have got several different styles including rounded low profile that might have come originally with the campag record bottle cages I no longer use. Easy to source I think. mine are about 15mm long threaded.
    Colnago Addict!
  • Thanks.

Yes M4 bolts.

Fortunately the threads are ok too.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Shipley wrote:
    I bought several lenght 4mm bolts but I need the next sizr smaller. The 4mm refers to the allen key bolt size, not the size of the bolt thread itself if that makes sense.
    Bolt sizes are always the thread size (diameter then length), not the spanner/hex key / tool size. If someone is listing bolts by the size of the tool required to do them up they are not following conventions and are an idiot.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    wongataa wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    Bolt sizes are always the thread size (diameter then length), not the spanner/hex key / tool size. If someone is listing bolts by the size of the tool required to do them up they are not following conventions and are an idiot.
    Plenty of idiots in here
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mx

x being the current size that is too big. then work your way down.

Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    wongataa wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

this exactly

Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.