Schrader or Presta valves?

Rothsay
Rothsay Posts: 64
edited June 2010 in The workshop
I bought my bike with Schrader valves and until recently I have had no problem with inflation. However, I had a puncture - a split at the base of one of the valve stems. I have checked the hole for any rough edges but all seems to ok. However the two Schrader valved innertubes used since have deflated slowly. I have done all the usual checks on them and can't find a leak. I have changed to a Presta valved tube and there doesn't seem to be a problem. The wheels are 700 x 40c and according to the tyre (Kenda Kwest) requires a pressure of between 50 and 80psi. I have found 70psi ok. Is there a problem for Schrader valves at this sort of pressure? Any experience and advice on this appreciated!

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I run schrader valves on my Brompton (Presta are hard to find in 16inch tubes) and I runn them at 100 psi without any problems.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    You #can# run schraeder at high pressure.

I just prefer everything (including my Brompton) to be Presta.

The only stuff still Schraeder in our house (apart from the cars) are the children's bikes and trailer
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for the replies. I had a word with the LBS today and they had no ideas really. I have take the plunge and gone for Presta. Though I am going to have to get a new foot pump with a Presta fitting :?
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    I run Schraeder valves at 550kPa (about 80psi) with no problems.
    Rothsay wrote:
    Though I am going to have to get a new foot pump with a Presta fitting :?
    You should be able to buy a new head separately.
  • Rothsay
    There shouldn't be a problem at this pressure and I am still puzzling over the innertube. I have it inflated now and have had it through the water bath again but no sign of a leak. Thought it might have been a faulty valve but it seems ok. Might keep it as an emergency spare!