8 Speed Chain Advice

theman10001
theman10001 Posts: 89
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've got a KMC chain on my bike at the moment and bought some sram powerlinks but they dont fit. So I'm after a new chain, must be 8 speed and either Shimano or Sram. Any recommendations? Durability is more important than weight.

Thanks!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    did you get the 8spd powerlinks? They should fit...

but a kmc x8.99 is a rather lush chain.
  • did you get the 8spd powerlinks? They should fit...

but a kmc x8.99 is a rather lush chain.

Yes they are the 8 speed links. It is a rather old chain, but only has about 300miles on it. From looking at the pictures on CRC the current chain looks similar to this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=51829

So the sram 8spd powerlink would definately fit the kmc x8.99? Is the x8.99 superior in durability/quality to a sram pc850/870?

Thanks for the help so far!
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Just buy the KMC 8 Speed links, IMHO they open easier when caked in mud.
  • BOYDIE wrote:
    Just buy the KMC 8 Speed links, IMHO they open easier when caked in mud.

I did consider that but I read somewhere recently that the newest KMC links were almost identical to the sram powerlinks, so was concerned they may not fit my old KMC chain. The chain in question is probably 8-9 years old.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    8-9 years old?! i think an investment in a new chain could be on the cards. But if nothing else on the drivetrain has been changed in all that time, you may find a new chain will then mean other bits need changing.

The chain will wear in with the cassette/chainrings. Putting a brand new chain on old teeth can sometimes cause it to slip - depending on how worn the teeth are!
  • FunBus wrote:
    8-9 years old?! i think an investment in a new chain could be on the cards. But if nothing else on the drivetrain has been changed in all that time, you may find a new chain will then mean other bits need changing.

The chain will wear in with the cassette/chainrings. Putting a brand new chain on old teeth can sometimes cause it to slip - depending on how worn the teeth are!

Thanks for the advice. 8 years sounds a long time but the cassette still looks like new, the bike had 250-300 miles on it in all that time. In fact I think some of those miles were done on a different cassette when i got upgradeitus. Anyway i have gone ahead and ordered a KMC x8.99 chain. The front chainset is also new because a loose pedal ruined the old cranks.
  • Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    So did your powerlinks fit the kmc x8 .99?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er bit of a thread resurrection. It died three years ago.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    Worth a shot haha