chainring rubbing on chain guide - bb spacers?

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm just about finishing up my commencal build and i've encountered a small problem. Basically, i have changed the thin ramped and pinned middle ring that came with my SLX crankset for a chunky blackspire singlespeed one, the problem is, it's rubbing on the back of the top guide and the roller on my chain guide. Putting the old chainring back on should solve this, but i'd rather use the new one. Can i put like a 1mm or 2mm BB spacer between the chain guide and the crankset? (the chainguide is BB mount).
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Does it do it in all gear combos? it will in the extremes of gear
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • ilovedirt
    The whole chain and ring is sat right on it pretty much, so yeah it rubs in whatever gear combo. If i can move the chainring out about 2 or 3mm, it should be fine, just making sure it's alright to do so, and if i can get a spacer like that.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Can you not alter where the guide sits behind the BB shell to get it in a better position? Have you got a pic of the problem?

I just put a bb type guide on my bike and had the option of two spacers to replace witht he guide - I picked the one that gave the correct chain line.

Also are the two chainrings the same tooth count? Sounds like one might be bigger! And as a final question, do the guide roller and other bit not adjust further out and in by messing with the spacers? What makes the guide.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    On both my chain devices (MRP & Blackspire) there are 3 grub screws on the back plate, undo these and the inner plate should slide in and out, you can move it in closer to the frame to get more room if required.

Do you not have a similar option on your device?
  • ilovedirt
    I've sorted it now, i had a spacer behind the chain guide, so i switched that around so the chain guide moved back, but i had to cut about 10mm off the end of the top guide because it clashed with the swing arm, i doubt it will affect the performance of it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Lads i got the same problem i had problem with my crank rubbing on my bottom bracket chain guide i put two 2.5 spacers behind the bb and that solved that , so now i put my chain ring on and it dosent line up with the top & bottom guides so its rubbing and knocking the chain off :(
    i dont know were to put spacers or what to do it sucks :(
    any help welcome please!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have a BB mounted guide it replaces one of the spacers..... or should have done anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.