anyone recommends a helmet with good venting for the summer?

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I have one of those skateboard style lids (wanted side protection due to a van incident), but it is just far too warm for the commute now.

Before I trawl the shops I wanted to ask for any personnal recommendations for a well vented lid, that is in mid price price rather than highend racing cost.

[to the anti helmet brigade, yes I do want one]

Comments

• I have one of these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228868

£20 is a great price for it. That said, when I took it off this morning, a veritable waterfall of sweat fell off my forehead. I think it's pretty well vented, and certainly most of my brains are still inside my skull.

ETA: Doesn't seem to be very available anywhere though, sorry.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never used it myself, but I would imagine this is quite good.

May be a little pricey, whats your budget?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    davmaggs wrote:
    I have one of those skateboard style lids (wanted side protection due to a van incident), but it is just far too warm for the commute now.

Before I trawl the shops I wanted to ask for any personnal recommendations for a well vented lid, that is in mid price price rather than highend racing cost.

[to the anti helmet brigade, yes I do want one]

I get pretty damp even when bareheaded and wear a cap to stop sweat running into my eyes. You might find you need a similar approach even with a well-vented lid.

Cheers,
    W.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    My Giro Pneumo was excellent but got rid of it last year due to fraying straps. Now use an S-Works Specialized...all good so far.

I'm sure they use to advertise the Pneumo as being cooler than not wearing an helmet at all...not sure about that statement though!
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I have a Lazer Genisis, plenty of air flow - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lazer ... 360047648/
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    Got one of these these. Very happy with it.

119420_2.jpg
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Can happily recommend a Kask K10, but it ain't cheap
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    i sweat loads but cotton cap does the job of soaking up sweat and actually keeps my head cool lol
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    There are some people who vent no matter what helmet they are wearing.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've never used it myself, but I would imagine this is quite good.

May be a little pricey, whats your budget?

I've got one of them, a bit meh really. The best thing about it is it has gel pads instead of normal ones so it doesn't soak up sweat and get stinky. The worst thing about it is it has gel pads instead of normal ones so it doesn't soak up swear an it all runs onto your your glasses.

I think it's having hair that's the problem, I can't imagine any other top helmets could be much better. I don't think I'd bother spending the cash again.

How about a bell array? £40 odd quid from ribble, well rated and snazzy looking.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Bell Alcheras are not too pricey and well vented
  • mkchu84
    mkchu84 Posts: 41
    I have a specialized echelon. It has pretty good ventilation but the main reason I ended up buying it was because it was the only one that fitted my head comfortably. That might be another thing you want to consider, just go and try a load on.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have one of these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228868

£20 is a great price for it. That said, when I took it off this morning, a veritable waterfall of sweat fell off my forehead. I think it's pretty well vented, and certainly most of my brains are still inside my skull.

ETA: Doesn't seem to be very available anywhere though, sorry.

Have the same one, found the last one for 20 quid at the Halfords/Bikehut at St Pauls. Quite pleased with it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    use a melon & you can cut custom vents as required
    <a>road</a>
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    use a melon & you can cut custom vents as required

:lol: