Moving Up

Blancho
Blancho Posts: 6
My son is just entering his teens and has and loves cycling - maybe not sport (YET!!) but as a form of independance/ transport/ exercise which as a lifelong cyclist I wish to encourage. He has gone through several kids bikes and is now getting about on my mountain bike ( i've added road slicks). He now wants to buy his own and has been looking at some hybrids ie. the Boardman, Giant etc. Any advice? Hes a tall lad so is now ready for an adult bike. I'm not sure to advise him to save as much as he can as a decent bike is going to last him for years or get a good second hand bike at less expense? Any opinions on best buys models etc? people with experience/advice?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    With careful buying you can get more for your pound buying second hand. I guess you'd be looking at a light tourer/audax bike? He can put luggage on if required and it can be fast when the need for speed appears. If he wants to do a bit of offroad as well then maybe something with a cross background. As well as the second hand route from Sept onwards retaillers will be actively trying to move old stock as the 2011 models loom nearer so with a bit of saving and patience deals are usually available.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Blancho
    Blancho Posts: 6
    Thanks for the sound advice - you are thinking along the same lines as me. I'll take him to a few shops and get him to try a few. The bikeradar live later in the year may be a good opportunity.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed