Best for insurance?

thecremeegg
thecremeegg Posts: 284
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Since I've been adding modifications to my bike, I want to insure it :) Who is the best do you people think? Also, I bought the bike for £80 but have since added a lot in modifications so do they take this into account?

Cheers

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    A bike of this value will be covered by nearly all house insurance policies. As for add ons - keep the receipts, they may take them into consideration depending on how much value they add to the bike. It may cost you a few quid extra on your policy to add them though - upto you to decide whether its worth it.

Insurance for bikes only starts becoming a faff when you hit £1500 mark and some insurance companies may not insure above that amount and you then have to shop around to find one that does.
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    So how do I insure a bike I built from 90% second hand parts, but mostly decent XT stuff?

Would I insure it as the base model that the frame came from which retails around 899 or is there a better way to do it?
  • Quirrel wrote:
    So how do I insure a bike I built from 90% second hand parts, but mostly decent XT stuff?

Would I insure it as the base model that the frame came from which retails around 899 or is there a better way to do it?
    get it valued by a good bike shop + get it in writing.
    I know some shops will charge for this, but they wont screw you over either.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Insurance law is easy.

Items must be insured for the value of replacement, not purchase.

i.e. if you bought a £1000 frame for £30 second hand, you must insured to £1000.

They will insure it how you tell them too, never assume something is covered.
    Tell them everything, go into detail, then it is covered.

Household should cover it, check the excess does not make this moot.

then tell them this is by bike, it is custom built, I will send a components list (don't forget build costs in the valuation) this is where I lock it (home & work) this is what I lock it with.
    Am I covered for this?
    Thank you, can I get you to confirm that in writing? then send them parts list and replacement costs, don't forget the bike valuation from your bike shop.

You have to tell the insurance company what you want insured, they cannot read your mind.

If they told you it is covered on the phone, it does not matter what the policy says.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Popped down my local bike shop, asked if they could value it, pretty much a flat no. With lots of crap in between.

No point in insuring it, never get claims back, costs too much, don't know your bike frame, not sure about the costs of parts etc etc. I've never insured any of my six bikes and they are worth 20k etc etc.

Last time I go in there, every time I've been in to buy a little thing or when we thought about getting the missus a bike they were obtuse as well.

Have to start using the other bike shop a mile further away in the other direction from now on.

My secured bike parking at my apartment is full, so for the time being my bike is outside. I don't know if I'm allowed to but a mount into the bricks or not, I have a downstairs outside door so effectively the outside wall is mine, but there are lots of busy bodies here who like to see hanging baskets on the wall but don't want much else.

If I secured my bike to a drainpipe or gas-pip (god I don't want to do that but it might be the only option) is that an immovable object?

http://cycle-extras.com/MAMMOTH-JUNIOR- ... NCHOR.html - in the wall would do it if I can get permission to stick it in.
  • i had the same problem getting a valuation. i even had the value of all the parts for retail, and couldnt get it done in any of the 3 shops i visited. i was advised to find out a bike of equivalent spec, and refer to my bike on insurance as a saracen mantra CUSTOM, so that they will cover me for the value, not for the base spec. so long as you have a parts list and the retail price, then u can show an insurance company and if they have problems they can look for the value. (dont forget things like mudgaurds too, cause obviously when the bike gets nicked they go too)