Setting up front derailleur

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited June 2010 in The workshop
I need some help here. My newish bike came reasonably well setup on the gears apart from a slight issue where the front derailleur cable was left poking out into the path of the crank arm. So when I pedalled I got a rhythmic tick-tick as it flicked past it. I decided to alter that, but introduced 2 problems:

1. The gear lever is now very stiff when trying to move up to the larger front cog. My changers are EZ Fire.
2. The chain rubs on the inside of the derailleur when I'm in 1st gear.

So, I could do with some guidance on how to set it up from scratch.

I've tried the Bicycle Tutor video but I don't find the instructions too clear on there. I must admit that I viewed the video a few hours before attempting the task, so perhaps I should move the computer and my bike nearer to each other :oops:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    best to read park tools.

but it really depends on what you have done.

sounds like i would start with adding some more tension to the cable. adjuster is on the shifter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • roundthebend
    More tension? I moved the shifter into the middle so that I had movement on both sides available - I'm no expert obviously. Then I pulled the able tight and secured it. The shifter is very very very excited when I realease tension. So much so that the chain falls straight off - maybe I need to adjust the limiters. But it's extremely difficult, maybe impossible, to shift up.

I'll try Park Tools.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I had a similar problem with my set up sometime ago. I watched lots of videos and read many instructions on how to set the front derailleur. I ended up making such a hash of it I shame facedly ended up taking it to my LBS and they sorted it out for a tenner. This may not be the best technical advice but it may save you time and endless frustration!
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    More tension? I moved the shifter into the middle so that I had movement on both sides available - I'm no expert obviously. Then I pulled the able tight and secured it. The shifter is very very very excited when I realease tension. So much so that the chain falls straight off - maybe I need to adjust the limiters. But it's extremely difficult, maybe impossible, to shift up.

I'll try Park Tools.

If I've understood correctly, then this is your problem - the shifter needs to be at an extreme. Basically, the spring moves the derailleur one way as the shifter releases cable, i.e. tension is released, then pulling cable, adding tension, moves it back the other way, pulling against the spring.. So you need your cable tensioning when the derailleur spring is at maximum stretch, not somewhere in the middle. Obv. you need your limits set correctly too.

Off the top of my head, you need the front deraileur to be on the biggest cog for setting the tension. That's how it is on my bikes - tension pulls derailleur outwards, release tension and the spring pulls it back inwards onto smaller cogs, but I don't know if it's derailleur design dependent - I believe that rear derailleurs can pull either way (i.e tensioning pulls chain either up or down the cassette, spring returns it the other way) dependent on design.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Regarding the rhythmic tick tick ticking. It's annoying but harmless. It's worth letting the cable settle down a bit i.e. stretch out if new, then re-tighten the cable. Then cut the cable short to avoid the ticking, but let the cable stretch first. This is what I do. I'm no expert either.....
  • roundthebend
    Thanks for the input folks.

I haven't had a chance to try anything further yet though I have managed to stop my mudguards from rubbing on the tyres which was very annoying.

The tick-tick-ticking has been cured. It was only really annoying because my new bike runs so smoothly that I could hear it.

My front derailleur does work as PBo says - putting tension on the cable will move it outwards to shift the chain onto the larger chainring.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    this is how I do it.

a) shift derailleur to smallest chainring
    b) loosen cable
    c) adjust inner limit screw so that chain doesn't rub nor does it fall off the inside of the chainring
    d) pull cable tight & do up the bolt. Use pliers to get a good grip on the cable
    e) check shifting
    f) shift derailleur to largest chainring
    g) adjust outer limit screw to make sure the chain doesn't rub neither does it fall off the outside of the chainring.

done, should take 10 mins max
    <a>road</a>
  • roundthebend
    this is how I do it.

a) shift derailleur to smallest chainring
    b) loosen cable
    c) adjust inner limit screw so that chain doesn't rub nor does it fall off the inside of the chainring
    d) pull cable tight & do up the bolt. Use pliers to get a good grip on the cable
    e) check shifting
    f) shift derailleur to largest chainring
    g) adjust outer limit screw to make sure the chain doesn't rub neither does it fall off the outside of the chainring.

done, should take 10 mins max

You're not wrong :D

Why couldn't Park Tools or Bicycle Tutor have explained it just like you?
  • roundthebend
    Did the commute this morning and tested the full range of my gears. Absolutely perfect.

el_presidente for President.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Glad to be of service
    <a>road</a>