'Power Pedals Promise Assisted Biking'

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/fast-forward-power-pedals,news-7190.html

heh, someone's thought of adding a battery and motors to a bike to make it work better. Whatever next?

Oh, these are in the pedals and can be retrofitted to your favourite bike...

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Cancellara's using them :shock:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Dammit! You beat me to it. Although I wouldn't have known any names... :lol:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'd be amazed if you could put sufficient charge in a pedal shaped package to make a considerable difference.

Also, when they're not in use, you have all the additional pedalling resistance of lifting the weight of the opposing pedal.

I'm critical of most of the electrically assisted bikes, I admit - but particularly in this case it seems like you lose more than you gain.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Aidy wrote:
    I'd be amazed if you could put sufficient charge in a pedal shaped package to make a considerable difference.
    +1
    Also, when they're not in use, you have all the additional pedalling resistance of lifting the weight of the opposing pedal.
    That's not the issue- the weight of the pedals will balance- the increase in rotating mass is what's going to hurt. Every time you start pedalling you have to spin the batteries and motors up to pedalling speed, whether electrically assisted or not, and unless you're running a fixed gear, you won't be able to use regenerative braking downhill/downwind...

Nice idea but flawed, I feel...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Aidy
    That's not the issue- the weight of the pedals will balance

Good point.
    I really must learn to finish my first cup of coffee before posting nonsense :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Aidy wrote:
    +1
    That's not the issue- the weight of the pedals will balance- the increase in rotating mass is what's going to hurt. Every time you start pedalling you have to spin the batteries and motors up to pedalling speed, whether electrically assisted or not, and unless you're running a fixed gear, you won't be able to use regenerative braking downhill/downwind...

Nice idea but flawed, I feel...

Cheers,
    W.

could be improved, but not to such an easy add-on. sliding contacts between axle and motor, battery frame mounted, and a charging/regen braking system in the hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Aidy
    nicklouse wrote:
    [could be improved, but not to such an easy add-on. sliding contacts between axle and motor, battery frame mounted, and a charging/regen braking system in the hub.

And then it could be further refined to put the motor in the hub, to allow use of any pedalling system that the user so desired?
  • nicklouse
    Aidy wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    [could be improved, but not to such an easy add-on. sliding contacts between axle and motor, battery frame mounted, and a charging/regen braking system in the hub.

And then it could be further refined to put the motor in the hub, to allow use of any pedalling system that the user so desired?

already done :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Aidy
    nicklouse wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

already done :wink:

I might know that :)
  • nicklouse
    so we are back to Why?
  • Big and ugly as they are, this could be the beginning of something...

Mobile phones were huge, inefficient unwieldy things when they first appeared.
    The first computer was a daft great enormous thing that most 'experts' believed would never catch on as a mass-market item.

As technology evolves, this motorised pedal concept could become something worthwhile, especially as it's a retro-fit piece of kit that'll fit any bike

Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • wgwarburton
    Big and ugly as they are, this could be the beginning of something...

Mobile phones were huge, inefficient unwieldy things when they first appeared.
    The first computer was a daft great enormous thing that most 'experts' believed would never catch on as a mass-market item.

As technology evolves, this motorised pedal concept could become something worthwhile, especially as it's a retro-fit piece of kit that'll fit any bike

No, sorry, the design is fundamentally flawed, as described above.

Any technological improvements that would make it work better (better batteries, lighter motors) would be better fitted elsewhere on the bike, so the mass doesn't need to be spun-up all the time. This would also allow regenerative braking to be used when the bike was freewheeling.

Personally, I think assisted-bikes are very much a minority product. If the storage/generation technology was good enough it would be better to build a proper electric motorcycle or scooter. I'm sure there are some in the pipeline already.
    It used to be possible to get Velomoteurs, VeloSoleXes and similar things. The issues essentially remain the same- the powerplant+energystore is too heavy to make cycling without it operating a desireable option, so it's better to design it to be powered continuously.

These things tend to be products of loopholes in legislation rather than breakthroughs in personal mobility...

That's not to say we arn't due a breakthough... I just don't think that's it! Stay tuned for the reinvention of the Messerschmitt microcar with practical electric power plant... the future of commuting...?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Surely running a very fine wire on the inside of the crank arm and use a rotating contact point between the frame and cranks (at the BB) then you could use an existing dynamo from the market to charge these bad boys while coasting down hills?

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but that would eb very light as the wire can be very thin (trickle charge).
  • wgwarburton
    Kiblams wrote:
    Surely running a very fine wire on the inside of the crank arm and use a rotating contact point between the frame and cranks (at the BB) then you could use an existing dynamo from the market to charge these bad boys while coasting down hills?

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but that would eb very light as the wire can be very thin (trickle charge).

Yes, you could. It would mean more weight for the dynamo, though, and several sets of wires and contacts which would need to be reliable.
    Perhaps a better approach would be to use a dual purpose motor/generator in the hub itself, or on the frame, driven by the wheel or drivetrain. Maybe reinventing the derailleur system which had the freewheel in the cranks to allow shifting when freewheeling would be a good move? This would allow a motor/generator in the BB, where it would be low down (low CoG) and non-rotating (lower angular momentum).

Cheers,
    W.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    What happens if your foot slips of the pedal - I assume they revolve rapidly and take the skin off the font of your shin :shock: