Ultimate Olympian blows the RAAM

jonginge
jonginge Posts: 5,945
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Ouch! So close to the finish, too
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8752769.stm

Sorry about the thread title, I'm a bit tired...
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I saw title and thought it was a little harsh, but it is I suppose true
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I notice that the rest of the team pulled out.

Why didn't they have a minute's silence and ride the rest of the race wearing black arm bands and wearing "For Steve" t-shirts?

I mean, its a bit melogramatic, isn't it, given that Redgrave himself seems quite phlegmatic about it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

Only while they made sure he was OK, and it wasn't a serious injury is how I read it. The article does say they resumed and finished the face.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    spen666 wrote:
    I saw title and thought it was a little harsh, but it is I suppose true
    Wasn't meant to be harsh at all. I just couldn't think of another thread title once the pun had lodged itself in my brain. I have plenty much respect for all RAAM competitors. It's not something I would comtemplate entering. Face-planting after a front wheel blow-out on a mountain descent is a bit of a nightmare scenario
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    God that must be annoying. After all that, to be taken out by the Fairy...
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    We did a 1,000km Cancer research ride across USA/Canada in 94.

Looking at the video when we got back, one of girls was almost taken out by a Corvette Stingray in Alberta. We didn't realise how close it had been til we saw the film...
  • An old work colleague of mine competed this year in a 4 man team. They came an impressive 5th in their category: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcrank.php?s_N_category_group=2&s_N_Race_ID=1

Both he and I track our rides on Endomondo - his training put my commuting mileage in the shade! :shock:
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Two man team sponsored by my LBS made it OK. Must remember to sponsor them....
    http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracer.php?s_N_category_group=2&s_N_Race_ID=1&s_N_Entry_ID=2574
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Why didn't they have a minute's silence and ride the rest of the race wearing black arm bands and wearing "For Steve" t-shirts?

I mean, its a bit melogramatic, isn't it, given that Redgrave himself seems quite phlegmatic about it.

I can't believe it! A spelling mistake! And such poor punctuation! Quick, pass my smelling salts! My whole day has been ruined, my eyes are bleeding!
  • always_tyred
    PBo wrote:

I can't believe it! A spelling mistake! And such poor punctuation! Quick, pass my smelling salts! My whole day has been ruined, my eyes are bleeding!
    I quite like melogramatic, now that I see it.

Could come in useful, like misunderestimate and potatoe.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    PBo wrote:

If you just added another 'm' it could be 'melogrammatic' which could become a far superior word for a pedant whose focus is grammatical...
  • always_tyred
    PBo wrote:

If you just added another 'm' it could be 'melogrammatic' which could become a far superior word for a pedant whose focus is grammatical...
    Its my word and I'll spell it how I like.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    a SPOOLING MISTOOK? Shirley not...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    or 'meglogrammatic' - of course if we all use one of the versions eventually it will end up in the OED so you'd better come up with a definition AT
  • jonginge
    or 'meglogrammatic' - of course if we all use one of the versions eventually it will end up in the OED so you'd better come up with a definition AT
    'megalogrammatic'? IIRC* the OED requires 5 separate citations before an entry is confirmed. So we'd need to use it on other forums too ;)

*Ah, Balderdash & Piffle :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • always_tyred
    I think that melogrammatic would apply to something like, "Oh my gosh. !!?? :(:(:( "

Whereas meglogrammatic would apply to, "Awesome!!!! :!: :!: :D 8) "