What fast, decent volume tubeless tyre?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited June 2010 in MTB general
My lovely new red Cobalts have arrived and they are "tubeless ready" which I assume means I can fit a tubeless tyre to. These are going on a Cotic Soul hardtail which is my "fast" MTB (the other bike is a Commencal Meta for the rough stuff). I want some suitably fast tyres, preferably with a little bit of grip, that have enough volume to give me some cushioning from the hardtail ride. No more than 2.3 in size. Any ideas?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Small Block 8 standard and just run it tubeless anyway? Works well. 2.35 SB8 is what's in the back of my Soul, run tubeless on a traversee rim.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Spesh Fast Trak LK - 26x2.0 2bliss tubeless ready - 520g ish (control version). Considerably cheaper than any other tubeless ready/UST tyres.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Will all the above fit without using glue/sealing compound or whatever it is? And how do you get a tubeless tyre to seal on the rim before you blow it up?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'd need to run latex in any of those, would advise doing it on any tyre, even a pukka UST one though, massively increases puncture resistance.

Panaracers are notorious for being problematic when converted to tubeless.

I'd choose a Schwalbe myself, the Racing Ralph is a decent all rounder, the Rocket Ron is lighter and more fragile, but grippier, and the Furious Fred is a no-holds-barred race tyre which weighs nothing but doesn't have much grip! All will convert to tubeless really nicely.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Maxxis Ardent quick with a reasonable amount of grip
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap