Ha, serves you right!

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
So there I was enjoying my relatively traffic free (England playing) commute home when a woman driver decided to squeeze past me and cut in just before the traffic bollard in the middle of the road.

She missed me by about a half a metre but it must have been pretty tight because all of a sudden..BANG! She hit her wheel on the raised kerb and her tyre exploded. She continued on in front of me and then pulled over to the side of the road. As I went past I noticed the flat tyre and the wrecked alloy wheel...her window was open so I just said "it would have been a lot quicker and cheaper if only you had waited a couple of seconds"...and I rode off.

Waiting for a cyclist, short-term loss, long-term gain.

1-0, and not just England.

Comments

• :D
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I had a similar thing happen to me once when I was driving.
    Some dickhead who had applied superglue to his car and driven through Halfords (collecting every piece of rubbish they sell to idiots), was itching to overtake me. He eventually blasted past me uphill on a curve. There was no way he could have known what was ahead of me and that was proven by him swerving to avoid ploughing into a traffic island, not quite making it and clipping the kerb.
    Cue the loud bang but he still drove down the road like a chump.

A few metres down the road I passed him as he looked at his flat tyre and wrecked alloy.

I wound down the window, laughed at him and drove off.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I was coming round a corner in Islington a while back, left hand side of the road, BMW behind me desperately trying to get past me.

As the road narrowed he clearly felt trapped and went to try and squeeze past, but there was a lorry coming across from lane two as the lanes joined.

Wheel nuts of said lorry ripped up the side of his car up good and proper, it was one of the worst noises I'd ever heard.

And all he had to do was hold back a bit.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    instant karma
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I love it when that happens.

Then I feel bad for loving it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a transit behind me as we got to a traffic island, next noise I heard over the engine was the tyre squealing along the kerb of the traffic island a the engine revs changing. Carried on with said transit behind me and as they overtook me the passenger leant out of the window with some weird hand signals.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

+1 :lol::lol::lol:

But I don't actually feel that bad
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Awesome..........just waiting for this to happen some time !
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

+1 :lol::lol::lol:

But I don't actually feel that bad

I sometimes feel bad, but then I realise it's just wind.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    spen666 wrote:
    instant karma

+1
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    So there I was enjoying my relatively traffic free (England playing) commute home when a woman driver decided to squeeze past me and cut in just before the traffic bollard in the middle of the road.

She missed me by about a half a metre but it must have been pretty tight because all of a sudden..BANG! She hit her wheel on the raised kerb and her tyre exploded. She continued on in front of me and then pulled over to the side of the road. As I went past I noticed the flat tyre and the wrecked alloy wheel...her window was open so I just said "it would have been a lot quicker and cheaper if only you had waited a couple of seconds"...and I rode off.

Waiting for a cyclist, short-term loss, long-term gain.

1-0, and not just England.

I had a childish grin on my face reading that. :lol: Nice one 8)

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • mediamonkey
    mediamonkey Posts: 128
    Amusing perhaps, but also worrying - if these drivers have such little spaicial awareness who's to say next time they're not going to be scraping their alloys over your your bike rather than the kerb? :?
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Couple of years ago our spring ( :( ) hostel weekend ride had to ride through flooded section in the Dales, pretty much hub deep in places to the youngsters (9/10 upwards) when plonker passes Jim (oldest member) at some speed and soaks him to waist (March). Jim smiles - road dips just round corner :twisted: . Sure enough car is strranded in water well above door sill.

Plonker opens door :roll: .

Water rushes in

Jim waves in friendly fashion and asks him if he's ok.

Perhaps Dawkins is wrong and there is a God
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/